"No. Nothing will happen because I'll know you'll come back to me."

"Mitch-"

"No. I love you, and I won't love anyone else. I wouldn't be able to hurt you like that."

Scott sighs, wiping away his tears and pulling Mitch down to lay next to him. The smaller man latches onto his side, and their bodies fit perfectly together.

"If I don't make it back-"

"Stop it."

"If something happens to me-"

"Stop it, Scott."

"If you don't see me coming back on that plane in three years-"

"No."

"I just want you to know that you were and still are my first love. I am hopelessly in love with you, Mitch. Because of this, I'm going to try my best to make it, but if I don't, tell everyone I'm sorry and know I love you more than I've ever loved anyone."

"Scott..."

Scott smiles weakly through his tears, bending down to press a gentle kiss to Mitch's lips. Mitch kisses back immediately, his eyes fluttering closed and his hand coming up to rest on Scott's neck.

When the pair finally breaks apart, they're breathless, hearts thumping in sync. "I love you."

"I love you too."

+++

*three years later*

Mitch hurriedly runs a hand through his hair and throws on his shoes, grabbing his keys and rushing out the door. His heart thumps loudly in his chest, questions swirling in his mind. He quickly gets in the car and starts to drive, going as fast as the speed limit allows him.

He finally pulls up at the airport and stumbles out of the car, slamming the door behind him and rushing inside.
All of the families wait behind a gate for the soldiers to return. Mitch chews on his lip nervously, gripping the railing so tightly his knuckles are white. Slowly, the soldiers trickle in, and the laughter of children and the low chatter of reunited families soon fills the air. Mitch waits impatiently for his Scott to come, anxious to be in his arms again.

But he doesn't.

The happy families soon turn and make their way back, the occasional crying mother and confused children among them, leaving Mitch alone behind the gate. He feels his heart shatter into a million pieces, and he clutches the rail tighter for support as his knees wobble beneath him. Mitch's eyes brim with tears, and he slowly sinks to the floor, bringing his knees to his chest as sobs start to wrack his body.

He sits crying there for what feels like hours, but was really only a few minutes, until he hears footsteps. Mitch's head snaps up, daring to let himself hope.

Sure enough, another soldier comes limping towards him.

The biggest smile Mitch has ever worn breaks across his lips, and he scrambles to get up, maneuver himself out from behind the gate, and rush towards him. He collapses into Scott's chest, now sobbing with relief. "You're okay," he breathes, smiling impossibly wider when he feels Scott's arms wrap around his torso. "Yeah, baby," he murmurs, "I made it."

Mitch pulls back just enough to connect their lips, his hands clutching Scott's bicep tightly as if to reassure himself he's actually there. Scott quickly pulls away, but Mitch pays it no mind, just smiling breathlessly at him. "I missed you," he whispers, and Scott smiles slightly nervously, booping his nose. "I missed you too."
The pair pulls apart just enough for Mitch to grab Scott's hand again. "Let's go home," he murmurs, starting to walk but noticing how Scott limps after him. He feels his heart crack a bit in his chest and doubles back, letting Scott drape his arm around his shoulders and lean heavily against him. "What happened?" he asks quietly, gesturing with his free hand to Scott's leg. The blonde sighs, trying to stand up straighter. "Nothing. I'm fine." Mitch raises his eyebrow at him, and finally Scott gives in. "Someone shot me in the leg. I'm fine," he mumbles, yet even as he says it he tries to take a step and stumbles, almost falling. "You honestly expect me to believe that," Mitch says quietly, coming to his side and draping Scott's arm around his shoulders again. Scott sighs again, but speaks no more.
Mitch gently helps Scott to where his car is parked and opens the door for him, waiting for the blonde to clamber in before shutting the door and getting in his own side. Scott grunts as pain flares in his leg but grits his teeth and falls silent when Mitch shoots him a concerned look. They drive home in silence.