Chapter 37: Tyler's Actually Embarrassed

Song: Is There Somewhere by Halsey

------------

I rub the sleep from my eyes and take another sip of coffee before returning to the work on my computer. There's a knock on my bedroom door and then it opens. "Why are you up so early?" Bea asks and steps inside. "I thought class was canceled."

I nod. "I'm still working on Tyler's...surprise. I only have a couple left though and then I'll sleep for a bit. He won't be home until later tonight anyway, so I have time."

"Oh, okay," she says. "Get some sleep though please. Bags aren't in style anymore."

I laugh and roll my eyes. "Okay, Mother. I'll see you later."

The door closes and I go back to creating Tyler's playlists I deleted all those months ago. It's taken two weeks and he's been gone for almost three. He's finally coming home tonight though and I can't wait to see him. The phone calls and video chats are great, but I prefer him with me outside of technology.

The second to last disk finishes and I pop in the final blank one. I click on burn playlist to disk and sit back. The rest of the disks lay out in front of me. There are ten in total and I know Tyler had way more than ten. But this is progress. The playlists probably won't be the same or anywhere near the same, but here's to hoping he'll like them anyway.

Is this cheesy?

Probably.

Do I really care?

Not really.

Once it's finished, it pops out and I write a label on it. Those are my own. I pick lyrics from the songs or use an emotion or color. Just depends on what I feel, but Tyler can always change the names, it's not a big deal. I'm just glad I made it this far and I know it's going to be worth it. Completely worth it.

I slip them into individual sleeves and stack them on top of my desk before standing and going straight to my bed.

It doesn't take long for sleep to come.

* * *

I wake to fingers brushing over the back of my neck.

But I don't open my eyes immediately. I wait for a few seconds, thinking it could be a dream. Until it starts again. My eyes flutter open and I slowly turn until I'm on my back. Tyler's sitting next to me, blue hair disheveled and sleepy eyes. "Hi," he says softly and smiles a little.

I try to smile back. "What time is it?"

"Almost seven," he answers and leans over until his arm is across me and his hand is pressing against the surface of my bed.

"You're early," I say.

"I can leave again," he teases.

I laugh. "Don't you dare."

Tyler uses his free hand to move a strand of hair from my face. "Are you sick? I've never seen you in bed this early."

I shake my head. "Technically late. I didn't go to bed until eight this morning."

He raises a brow. "It's sad when your girlfriend goes to bed six hours after you do. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything's fine," I say. "I just had to finish something."

"I'm not sure I want to know," he murmurs.

I sit up and Tyler moves his arm so I can get out of bed. "Um, it was for you actually." My feet move until I'm in front of my desk and I pick up the small stack of disks.