Chapter 43: Ignorance is Bliss

Natalie 

Saturday Night continued...

He turned towards me, his hazel eyes wide and looking carefully into mine for some sort of answer. I didn't understand why my question was such a big deal until he lifted his hand and pressed it against my cheek. As his thumb stroked my skin, his bottom lip fell in between his teeth and the corner lifted in a goofy smile. 

"Shit," he said again. Though this time it was in awe and amusement. 

I wanted to ask what was so funny about staying here. I wanted to know what made the boy that was so hell bent on going back to England stay in the middle of nowhere, Georgia. The minute I opened my mouth to ask, he began to lean towards me and I felt a knot in the pit of my stomach that I couldn't quite comprehend. He stopped halfway, his eyes never leaving mine. 

For the first time, the boy who never second guessed a decision, hesitated. 

"Uh...Harry?" I whispered, scarcely getting the words out. 

At the mention of his name, he seemed to regain confidence. He gave me a smirk and pulled the beanie up on my forehead with his free hand, keeping the other one tethered to my cheek. "Whose turn is it?" 

I frowned. "What?"

Lightning flashed. The storm continued on just past the windshield, but somehow the inside seemed to be charged with more energy. His upper body was now on my side of the console and I found myself pressing my back against the door. "Our challenge war, " he explained, his eyes full of mischief, "Whose turn is it?" 

I shot him a crazy look. "What does..."

"Doesn't matter." He muttered breathlessly, pulling my head forward. 

In half a second, his lips were on mine. 

I froze in shock and he took my lack of response as an invitation to keep going. Moving his fingers to the back of my neck, he drew me closer. Rather than pull away, I found myself closing my eyes and surrendering to his touch. It felt as if every nerve caught fire. He laced his fingers through my hair and I did the same, finally able to run my hands through his long curls. The heat burned through me. My mind went blank apart from a single thought...

He's definitely kisses better sober than Tyler ever could drunk.

Harry grinned against my mouth and pulled away just enough to press our foreheads together. His pupils were dilated and he eyed me with a familiar cockiness that almost made me roll my eyes. I half expected him to make a smart ass remark about Tyler, but his playful demeanor was quickly replaced with a burning intensity that I had never seen before. It wasn't lust. It wasn't the usual look you give someone you just made out with for fun. It was something bigger. Something stronger. 

My question was answered. 

Panic ensued and I flung the door open, stumbling out onto the grass. It was almost midnight and the rain was coming down so hard I could barely see the fountain right in front of me. Forgoing my crutches, I began to hop towards it.

Another door slammed shut, followed by a roll of thunder. Harry sprinted in front of me and gripped me by the arm. "What the hell are you doing?" 

"You kissed me!" I yelled over the storm. And I kissed back.

He looked at me like a crazy person. "So naturally we're out here," He yelled sassily, throwing out his arms, "soaking wet." 

I shook my head, wrapping my arms around my body. "You're staying here for me..." 

He raised an eyebrow. "So you would rather me be in England right now?" 

I shook my head violently. "No!" I rocked back and forth on my heels, watching hopelessly as the mud formed around my converse.