Chapter Twenty Three - Christmas, Clashes and Companions

Start from the beginning

"Let's just forget all this and concentrate on Christmas and what it means to be a family celebrating this holiday together," Larry said, his tone inspirational. "Let's have dinner together and... oh... Ben it looks like there's one more present for you. It's the last one under the tree."

Ben looked at where Larry was pointing and reached for his present, but was beaten to it by Wren.

"Oh hey, it's for that Pepe el guy," Wren said, oblivious to Ben's anger. "Dad, it's not for Ben. Why is that guy's present under our tree anyway? Might as well open it since he's definitely not coming here."

And just as Ben reached over to punch Wren in the face, Wren began tearing open Ben's present for Pepe el. Ben froze in his movements as Wren ripped off the five layers of wrapping paper Ben had spent tirelessly wrapping around the present he had bought for Pepe el. Wren smiled and whooped as he saw two helmets and two Go Karting tickets. Ben had given one of each item to Ara as well, because he had planned for the three of them to go Go Karting together - something they had been wanting to do for a long time. He had even customised their helmets with their names and Ben's face. And there was Wren trying on Pepe el's helmet and Hen trying on Ben's, and the both of them happily holding the tickets like they were meant for them. Did they not even care that Pepe el was missing? Were they really just going to take his present?

"Give those back!" Ben shouted, letting spittle fly into Wren's eyes who proceeded to scream in agony. "Those are not for you or you."

Both of Ben's siblings looked at him like he was mad.

"Honestly, I've had it up to my head with the whole lot of you," he shouted, louder than before. "I've had enough of Hen and how ridiculously self-absorbed she is, how she doesn't care for relationships and how she leeches off of me and dad at every given opportunity. You've been complaining about how many clients you're not being able to serve all of Christmas day and Christmas eve! If people are that desperate for threading or makeup or whatever else it is that you do that they'll miss out on time with their families, then just go! I mean, you must be making bucket loads with all the jobs you're getting so why is it that you're here and not in Berkton? I'm sure you could afford a nice restaurant meal for yourself and your millions of friends, and if you really can do that, then just go already! I'm definitely not going to ask you to stay back.

"And Wren. You act like an animal whenever you see food or presents or anything else that doesn't belong to you. You might not like him but Pepe el is my friend. He's my brother. He's more my brother than you will ever be and that present belonged to him. That present was for him to open, not you. I'm kind of fed up of you taking everything you find and rifling through my things and being so goddamn ungrateful after all of that that you still want more money from me. If you think you're getting even another penny from me, you better think again.

"And of course, mum. You're the worst of the lot, aren't you? You waltz in here and try to force yourself back into my family... and it is mine now. Don't make any mistake about that. You have your own life in Berkton so why is it that you come back here time and time again?"

Ben clenched his fists in frustration as Hen began to giggle.

"Do you even remember that night you faked having a heart attack? It must be hard to remember especially with all the other stupid things you've done in your life. But I was there. I heard you talk about me like I was some kind of tool, like I wasn't even a human being and like my only purpose was to be used by you. And now that I'm useful, now that I'm successful, you're back and so incredibly desperate to get as much money from me as you can that you've resorted to your old tricks all over again. Pretending to be loving and motherly? It's actually disgusting to watch.