Chapter Four - It Won't Stick Around Forever

Ghosts don't exist. She didn't want to believe it. It wasn't being indenial; it was being sensible. It was supernatural. If ghosts could exist the world would be crawling with them. The 'population' would be tripled, full of dead people's spirits. As far as Lucy could tell, it wasn't.

She had to keep reminding herself this; whenever she started any thought of doubt entered her mind.. She couldn't work out whether she should tell her best friend or, as to not freak her out, keep it to herself. Being able to talk to Victoria about 'Jon' was important to her, but it didn't feel like the right thing to do. It felt risky.

Victoria was sat opposite Lucy, her teeth nervously nibbling away at her fingernails. She was anxious, worried that if she left Lucy alone, she would be putting her in danger. Responsibility was clinging onto Victoria like a scared child. She felt pressurized to protect her friend.

"Lucy, come and stay at mine, for a few days," Victoria suggested to her, Lucy could see the concern filling her eyes.

Lucy shook her head, she didn't need protecting from what was or wasn't in her house, "I'll be fine here, thanks though."

Victoria sighed, "I'm scared Luce. What if you faint again? I don't like you being here alone," the look on Lucy's face gave Victoria the impression that there was no way she would win this battle, "At least come to mine? A few of us are going to watch films and stuff, you can stay over if you-"

"Alright! I'll come over, but I'm going to sleep at mine tonight, tomorrow night and for the rest of the week," Lucy made herself clear.

Victoria's doubts were still playing through her mind. She bit her lip, thinking of an alternate solution to Lucy's problem. She seemed more scared than Lucy was. Although the only thing  Lucy seemed to show was stubbornness. The only other way Victoria had found to figure out what Lucy was truly feeling was through her eyes. She could see straight through Lucy's act by her eyes, they gave away her biggest secrets, things even Victoria didn't know about her own best friend. Over the last few days, they became empty and glazed over, precisely how they were when she was having trouble with her step father.

Victoria's dubiety was not important to her best friend though. Lucy's stubbornness was starting to takeover. In fear of having a repeat of earlier and upsetting her even more, Victoria completely backed down, letting Lucy succeed in getting what she wanted. It wasn't an unusual thing to happen with the two girls.

Lucy had more control, not just over Victoria, over most people. She had almost two sides to her personality, if you got too close or didn't agree with her, she'd turn on you at the click of a finger.

"Vicky, do you believe in ghosts?" She inquired, the level of stupidity that Victoria thought the question was on didn't bother Lucy. She needed a friend's insight without telling her what actually was going on.

"I believe that having contact with a ghost or spirit is inevitable, because they are always 'with' you, in your memory and heart and maybe they will give you help or support in a physical way, but I don't know, personally it's never happened to me, but I've not had a great experience with deaths," Jon's face flashed through Victoria's mind, reminding her of the horrific event that took place recently, "What sparked that question, Luce?"

"I..er...was thinking about my dad, I figured if ghosts were real than he would have stopped my mum's partner from hurting me, I just wondered what you though about it," Lucy lied, avoiding eye contact with her, in case she noticed she was plainly lying and started to ask her questions about why she really asked.

Victoria thought about what had been said, "You're dad had no way of stopping the abuse you was receiving, he couldn't physically protect you. Maybe he felt it wouldn't have benefited you as much as you dealing with it yourself. Think about it, you're ten times more independent and you're out of that house and not near your step father. Maybe if your dad had got involved, you would have had a worry free few months, then he would go back to abusing you. I may be wrong, but, personally, I believe they will only physically show themselves to you if they have a reason or have to, otherwise it would freak the person out or cause situations to escalate."