The ground started to rock. A ring around the outside dropped and water rushed into the arena. I hugged Tobias from behind, and I watched the jagged fin of a creature appeared. More followed. They circled around us.

"What is it?" I whispered.

Another section of ground fell. Even more fins appeared.

I started panicking. "What is it? Tobias, what is that?"

Tobias held me to his chest. "It's fine. Everything's fine." He checked his gun.

The ground shook. I closed my eyes. The water was getting closer.

"You're running out of time, Tobias."

The crowd looked horrified. One of the sea creatures leaped out of the water at the wall, nearly getting over it. It had clawed hands with long fingers. Its black eyes were on the side of its head with row after row of sharp teeth. The sound it made was a deep cackle. Something jolted against the platform. I turned around to see the creature clawing its way onto dry ground, gnashing its jaw together. Tobias shot it. The other fish creatures raced over and dragged it into the water.

Everything turned red.

I covered my mouth. Tobias turned me away from the sight and hid my face in his shirt.

"We're fine. Do you hear me? We're just fine."

A ring of dirt dropped, splashing the bloody water into the stands. I looked at the overlord's box, but he was gone and had taken Nyko. The people were yelling for it to stop as another sectioned fell. The fish monsters swam around and around. Tobias shot twice, killing two who tried to climb onto dry land. The water turned a deeper red.

"Are we going to die?" I whimpered.

"No. No, we're fine. I'm taking care of it."

The last piece of ground lowered a few inches. I screamed when water touched my feet. We were going to die.

"Look at me." Tobias held me out in front of him. "When I tell you to run, you're going to swim over to the wall and climbed out like I did the other day." He pulled a silver rod out of his pocket. Tobias pressed a button, and it extended into a spear. Turning, he hurled it at the overlord's platform.

"But what about you?" I peered over my shoulder.

"Run." He kissed my forehead. "I'll take care of the rest."

I nodded and inched behind him. Walking backwards, I watched the splashing water.

Tobias took aim. "Run, Raja."

Spinning around, I raced to the edge and dove into the water. I swam as hard as I could. I heard a bang and inhaled. Gagging, I stopped and looked back to see the beasts eating one of their companions only thirty feet away.

"Keeping going, Raja!"

I made it to the wall and climbed up the pillar. One of the monsters was swimming right at me. It stopped and jerked back. Tobias shot it, and the horde raced to the water beneath me. Tobias cursed and reloaded his gun. I neared the top. Reaching out a hand, I tried to grab the spear. It was inches away. I hugged the pillar and moved my legs a little higher toward my hands. Stretching out my leg, I curled my toes around it.

Moving my other leg higher, I tried to balance between the two. A flash of silver caught my eye. I looked back to see one jumping out of the water. That was enough motivation for me. Pushing off the spear, I leaped into the air and grabbed onto the railing. I flung myself over to the sound of Tobias's gun. Toppling to the ground, I covered my eyes and tried to calm down. I made it. I made it, and I was still in one piece.

"Figured he tried that stunt again." Eadwyn walked out from the back room. "Let's go, Raja. We have a plane to catch."

Scooting backward, I threw anything I could get my hands on at him. "Stay away from me."

"Do you really think I'd let you go?" He yanked me to my feet.

I swung around and punched him in the face.

Eadwyn staggered back, holding his jaw. "I'm going to enjoy wiping your memory." He snatched my wrist and twisted my arms behind my back.

"Eadwyn!" yelled Tobias.

The overlord ducked down behind me. "Thanks for making sure my Raja made it out okay. I knew I could count on you. Though he was never in any real danger." He touched the charm on my waistband. "They could only get so close without their ears bursting. You should have kept him by your side. Though, I had hoped you be a man about it and put a bullet in your head. Oh, well. I'm sure my backup plan will finish you off. Goodbye, Tobias."

The general gritted his teeth, standing in the center of the small, submerged piece of ground.

A gasp ran through the audience. They pointed to the sky as the sun was blocked out.

I leaned out over the railing. "Oh my god."

Small ships emerged from the large aircraft. More of the same size appeared in the sky and released fighter ships. So this was the devil's fleet.

Eadwyn breath caught. "Helix." He dragged me into the backroom and shoved me toward his men. "They came early. We need to get out of here now."

"He's going to kill you," I stated.

"Everyone will be too busy fishing the pieces of Tobias out of the water." He looked me in the eyes. "He has avoided death for too long. This time, I'll make sure the great general of Helix learns how to die."