Chapter 16: Mending Helix

The car rattled as a blast shook the ground. Eric swung around and stared at the dark cloud rising from his palace in the distance. "Did you?"

Sucking in my lips, I nodded.

"I'm going to shoot you!" He went for my gun. "Sora was in there! You fucking bastard, you just blew up, my pet. You killed Sora."

I wrestled the gun away from him and put him in a headlock. "Sora's fine. They won't have blown it unless all my men made it out, and one was in charge of Sora. So calm down." I shoved him to the other side of the car.

Eric pushed back his hair. "So help me, Tobias, if Sora is hurt." He clenched his jaw.

Let out a sigh, I sunk down into my seat and started to laugh. "Little overprotective." Taking off my glasses, I pressed the button. "Andrus?"

"Yes, general."

"Update."

"Everyone made it out. We are estimating large casualty of high ranking Taris officers, but we'll have to wait for the report to know exactly who. The king has been confirmed dead."

"I put the bullet between his eyes, Andrus. How's Sora?"

"He's fine, scared but fine." Eric lunged for the glasses. "Sora," he yelled.

"Get back," I pushed him into his seat. "Take the boy to the safe house. We'll meet you here."

"Yes, sir."

The line went dead, and I tossed the glasses on the seat. I rubbed between my brows to relieve some tension of a developing headache. I needed a drink.

"Where have you been?" spat Eric. "You wait until the empire turned into a shithole, before you decided to show your face. We're mere moment from collapsing, Tobias."

"Helix will be fine. I've been working with trusted officers for some time."

His head snapped toward me. "Why wasn't I informed?"

"They didn't know it was me. They do now, though, I think," I replied. "Just not before." I glanced out the window. "I needed to remain dead. I couldn't even have the slightest chance the enemy knew I had survived for this to work."

"We needed you, Tobias. People died because you weren't there."

"I was the target, Eric. I'd always be the target. Kill me, and they've defeated the troops. Kill you, and they defeated the empire. It's a process. I did what I knew was best for our people." I looked over at him. "We're going to win this war. Our soldiers are in place and issuing attacks on all fronts."

"Six months," he said through gritted teeth.

"How long do you think it takes to plan all this?" I exclaimed. "You act like I've been doing nothing. Damn it, Eric, today you were supposed to be executed. Be a bit more grateful that I choose to come out of hiding today and not tomorrow." I folded my arms and gazed out the window. "Starting to wish I had," I muttered.

He let out a heated breath. "You have a plan to fix this, then?"

"Helix is already on the mend. Just be patient."

***

I led the way to the main room in the underground bunker.

Eric spotted Sora and raced by me.

"Master!" The albino threw his arms around the emperor's neck.

He hugged the boy tightly. "Thank god." He kissed Sora's head and twisted him from side to side. "Are you hurt?"