She narrowed her eyes keeping her mouth covered. She didn't know if she should tell him but if Trevor knew what was the harm. "The baby's father is Professor...."

"Harmony, I need to speak with you." Laurent with his navy on navy suit spoke standing in the doorway of Harmony's office.

Harmony's hands fell from her mouth and the muscles along her shoulders coiled, "This is a secure floor. How did you get past the elevator?" Ever since a disgruntled husband held one of the secretaries at knifepoint a guard had been stationed by the elevator checking IDs and badges.

"I have business on this floor," Laurent informed forging into the office. "And you are?" He faced the boy in white Nikes, white basketball shorts, and a black t-shirt. Laurent held out his as Versace's Eros wafted around him.

Cairo wiped his hand down the side of his shirt then took the distinguished gentleman's hand. "I'm Cairo." He competed with the sheer force of the man's grasp. "Cairo Barden." Cairo shook his hand free as Harmony's scowl singed his umber skin.

Laurent slipped his hand in his pant pocket, "The boyfriend."

"No." Cairo reluctantly stated. "The friend."

Cairo scratched a phantom itch running down his neck as the tension swelled in the meager office and the stare Laurent shot from his galled eyes. "I.... should go." He maneuvered himself behind the chair, etching a streak on the pristine glass wall.

Harmony pulled her eyes from the Mac screen, "Cairo you aren't the one that should go." She moved her sight to Laurent standing in front of the door with his hands jammed in his pockets.

"No...no...I gotta go to work." Cairo stopped scooting towards the door whereas Laurent stood in front of it like a stone wall with a face that could rival fire.

"You will not speak to me that way..." Laurent roared swiping his hand out his pocket, aiming his long finger in her direction. "I am your—"

"My what!" Harmony shouted startling the mailroom guy in the hallway who dropped his handful of packages. "Sperm donor." She gripped the edge of her desk pushing back her black mesh chair. She stopped the chair with her Michael Kors ballet flat covered foot before it smacked against the window.

Laurent covered his mouth looking down at his tan oxfords. Even Cairo knew the 5'5" girl wounded the brawny 6'4" man more than any man's fist probably could.

Harmony fiddled with the gold Kate Spade watch on her wrist. The watch her Dad gave her before going off to college. The watch she had to wear or she would feel like a limb was missing. Her arm wasn't complete unless the watch was strapped around her wrist. Every day she wore that watch and every day it reminded her of her Dad.

It reminded her of the Lethal Weapon marathons they would have in his man cave, Saturday morning hikes at Huntsville State Park, and getting lost in the bookstore hunting for their next great read. Henry Monroe was her dad. Not the marred man standing in front of her five seconds away from shedding a tear. So, why was remorse swarming in her stomach? Why did her mouth want to call back those words she spewed? Why did she care how Laurent O'Connor felt?

Laurent nodded raising his head; his black hair falling out his face revealing his pink-tinted eyes. "Is that all you think of me?" The scorn tainting his voice brought dew to Harmony's hands as she clenched them on her lap. "A sperm donor." He rubbed the beard covering his sharp jawline, then nodded. "I understand." He nodded again backing up towards the door. "I...understand." He muttered to himself.

Cairo swallowed the ball of emotions in his throat as Laurent walked out of the office and passed the mailroom guy stacking his boxes. "That was cold, Har. Cold." He looked at her. "I thought you wanted to get to know the guy."

Harmony looked away, shifting her eyes to the yellow A-line skirt gripping her thighs, "School. Work. Friend obligations. Wes is right. I don't have time for new people bringing complications into my life."

"Complications? New people? He's your father!" Cairo shook his head. "And when did you start doing what Wes told you to do?"

Harmony stopped toying with the hem of her skirt, "I agreed with Wes. I'm not doing what Wes told me."

Cairo huffed not buying it. " I thought you were better than what I just saw. I thought you were honorable...understanding, not a basic Becky bitch drowning in spite."

Harmony leaped from her chair sending it cascading against the window, "Don't call me a bitch!"

"If you don't want to be called one, don't act like one!" Cairo fumed running into the mailroom guy as he stormed out the office.

Harmony slammed her hands on the desk. Eyes burned into her skin and she rose her head. "What is it, Tobias!"

"Package." Tobias croaked standing by the door holding the small brown box.

Should Harmony cut Laurent some slack?