Chapter Thirty Five

Start from the beginning

Sirius couldn't stand the house-elf, attempting to kick it away or blast it away anytime he had the chance out of anger for the things Kreacher would spit at people in passing. It was obvious, Sirius carried a lot of anger with being back in the childhood home, surrounded by the house-elf that reminded him so much of his family that he did not associate with.

Rather than giving any sort of attention to Kreacher, Nixie continued on ignoring any slurs or nasty thing that house-elf had to say before carrying herself up and off to bed. Sirius was already asleep as she entered the room, exhaustion had clearly won the battle between him staying awake and waiting for her.

Lying down next to him, Nixie immediately cuddled into his side as she felt her tired state getting the best of her.

"You're late." Sirius mumbled as he barely opened his eyes to look at her.

"I'm not late." She smiled at him as he turned to face her, his arm wrapping around her waist and pulling her into him. "I arrived precisely when I meant to."

Sirius let out a small chuckle before the two allowed sleep to completely consume them.

The next morning came all too fast, but the couple was willing to get up to celebrate Eleanor's birthday as the girl became of age in the magical world. Of course, the two were waiting to see Remus' reaction that morning.

Eleanor hadn't been downstairs or awake long as Remus came in greeting her with a tight hug, comparable to one of Molly's.

"Dad, too tight!" Eleanor squeaked.

"Sorry!" he quickly released her and began to straighten his daughter's attire.

"Dad! Relax. It's my birthday, not my funeral." Eleanor teased him while Sirius sat down.

"Don't say such things." The panic was clear across the man's face as his daughter said those words. But he quickly calmed himself down.. "I'm just...you're seventeen, today. That's a lot to take in."

"I think someone's about to get teary eyed." Sirius muttered to himself in amusement.

Nixie walked in after hearing the commotion in the other room and flicked his hair. "Leave him be, he's allowed to get teary eyed." she said before sitting down beside him. "It's not everyday your child becomes of age. Happy Birthday, Eleanor."

"Thank you." Eleanor smiled at her, until Nixie nudged Sirius in the ribs.

"Ah right, happy birthday Ellie!" he said.

"Thanks." she chuckled as Sirius rubbed his side before turning to Nixie.

"That really hurt." he said. "You forget how strong you are sometimes, love."

"Oh I'm well aware of how strong I am." Nixie told him as she leaned back in her chair to grab a small package off the counter behind them. "Here you are Ellie, it's from Siri-"

"Us." Sirius cut her off causing her to glare at the man as she turned to him.

 "I was going to say from Sirius and I."

"I was just making sure that we both got equal credit!"

"Equal credit, I'm the one who-"

Suddenly, she found his hand over her mouth before he spoke. "Open it. It was my idea."

Nixie's eyes furrowed as she yelled something that was muffled by his hand.

"Open it quickly!" Sirius instructed Eleanor urgently.

"I am!" Eleanor grabbed the small wrapped package as Sirius struggled to hold back Nixie from attacking him. She opened the box to see a bracelet made of pearls.

The couple could see the girl's eyes widen. "It's beautiful!" she said pulling it out. "But I can only imagine it cost a fortune."

"Ow!" Sirius pulled his hand away as Nixie bit down. He shook his hand while Nixie wiped at her mouth.

"Don't be silly, Ellie, it didn't cost much at all." Nixie reassured her. " I just had to make a trip to see my mother and-'

Remus made a face as Eleanor looked wildly confused.

"You didn't tell her, did you?" Nixie asked Remus, looking to her dear friend.

"I wasn't sure if you wanted me to!" Remus said holding up his hands in defense. "You always said you wanted to be the one to tell new people."

"Well, for Kelpie's sake Remus, you could tell your daughter!"

"Tell me what?" Eleanor glanced back and forth between the adults.

"The reason why it was no trouble to get those pearls is because my mother is a mermaid, Ellie. She comes across these things like seaweed." Nixie explained.

Eleanor just stood there with a blank expression for a moment. "I..I'm sorry, but did you say your mother was a mermaid?"

"Is. She's still alive and-"

"Splashing." Sirius added with a laugh. Nixie glanced over at him.

"Oh come on, that was funny."

Nixie held back her smile as looked back at Eleanor.

"So...that... means you're a mermaid?" Eleanor said.

"Half. Dad was a wizard."

"Wicked." She heard hands clap and saw the twins high fiving each other in the corner of the kitchen.

Eleanor turned to her father. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Remus cleared his throat.

"Well, in all fairness, I did say she went out to sea a lot."