Chapter Eight

"Nini..I..I can't take this.." Sirius said not taking the wand from Nixie's hand as she held it out to him.

"Why not?'

"Because this...this is your father's wand."

"I'm well aware of that."

"I can't take this from you. If something were to happen to it-"

"If you promise to keep as safe to the best of your abilities, that's all that matters to me."

"My promises still mean something to you?" he asked her quietly.

"Of course they do, Sirius." she said sitting beside him and resting her hand over his. "Sirius, what happened was out of your control..I don't blame you for not coming back that night..I could never hold that against you-"

"But I should have been completely honest with from the beginning. I should have told you about the switch."

"Why didn't you?" she asked curiously.

"Because..the state you were in, Nixie, I was so afraid that adding one more stressor to your life was just going to send you over the edge. I couldn't do that to you..of course I only made things worse by doing that."

"It's okay, Sirius..I'm just so glad to have you back and..and I want you to use my dad's wand. Mum always said that you two were so much alike and I think the wand will see that too. Just until we can clear your name again and get you your own wand."

She tried to offer it to him again, and the second time, Sirius took the wand in his hands and stared at it. After a few minutes, he looked at Nixie who was staring at the wand as well. For her to even suggest him using the wand, let alone actually let him use it, Sirius didn't know what he was feeling at the moment. He thought of Henry and how the man asked Sirius to take care of his daughter, Sirius had failed for over twelve years, hurting Nixie breaking the one promise he had made to Henry. But with the new responsibility of using Henry's wand, Sirius was going to make sure he did everything in his power to protect Nixie and all those that he cared for.

He reached one his hands up and touched Nixie gently under her chin, directing her to look back up at him.

She offered him a warm smile as his thumb trailed over her cheek as their eyes met.

'I'm going to take care of this wand with my life. I promise."

"Use it to defend your life...don't lose your life over it." she told him.

Sirius opened his mouth to respond but suddenly the two were alerted by a loud knock on the door downstairs.

They exchanged nervous glances as they heard Meri open the door in a calm manner. Sirius recognized the voices of the Ministry members that were searching for him.

Nixie held her breath as she heard her mouth start to talk louder to warn them of the presence of the wizards in the home.

When questioned as to why she was speaking so loud, Meri claimed to have water in her ears but that seemed to raise the suspicions of the Ministry members who called out to the search the home. Sirius grabbed Nixie's hand and pulled her up to her feet to stand before him. Holding onto Henry's wand, Sirius held Nixie close to him and the two apparated from the home.

Nixie found herself in a wooded area that looked similar to the woods that boarded the village of her home.

"Why are we here?" Nixie asked glancing around to make sure the area was clear.

"Well, I couldn't leave my trusted steed behind." Sirius grinned at her, walking ahead.

"Trusted steed?"

"Yup...Beaky!"  Sirius called out.

"I'm sorry but did you say Beaky?"

"Oh yes, he quite likes that one."

"I.." Nixie said nothing more as she heard the sound of flapping behind her. She turned around and jumped back startled , tripping over on a tree root and falling to the ground at the sight of a Hippogriff before her.

"Oh there you are, Beaky." Sirius greeted the creature.

Nixie gave the man a look before turning back to the hippogriff who stared down at her. It made a snapping motion at her with a screeching noise, causing Nixie to go on the defense. Her teeth sharpened and her face morphed slightly as her eyes darkened and she snapped back at the animal.

The Hippogriff obviously was not expecting it as it took a step back, flapping it's wings once more but remaining silent.

Sirius pressed his lips together before walking over to the hippogriff and giving the animal a pat on the back. "Should have warned you about her, mate. She is not one to back down...it's better if you just bow first."

Nixie pushed herself up from the ground before shaking her head for a moment. "A hippogriff, Sirius?"

"Well, I certainly didn't walk here, Nini." he chuckled.

"Of course you didn't..you took a hippogriff. Why am I acting like this is a shocker, I should expect these kind of things from you."

"You really should." Sirius said before holding his hand out to her.

"I don't want to get on the hippogriff." she said eyeing the animal.

"Well, you don't have to but if we're going to get out of here, you going to have to take my hand, Nini."

The creature made a noise while looking at Sirius.

"Ah right, where are my manners...Nixie this is Buckbeak...Buckbeak, this is Nixie."

"Merlin, help me."

"Now come on you two, we're about to go on a nice...extended holiday, it would be nice if we could get along and have a good time."

"He started it." Nixie said crossing her arms.

Buckbeak turned his head away from the woman leaving Sirius in the middle of the two.

"This is going to be a long holiday, I can just feel it."