Prologue

The stormy waters were nothing short of terribly dangerous as the young mermaid tried to steady herself against the thrashing current. Drifting too far from her mother had left Nixie Dover in a terrifying predicament as even using her tail's full strength, the water threw her about like a rag doll. She wanted to dive under but the pitch black water frightened her along with the lightning that flashed in the sky. Suddenly, a large way overcame her and knocked her towards the rocky point where the markers for ships rested. Her head struck the rock, leaving her dazed as she watched the red droplets trickle down from her head and into the water.

Gripping onto one of the rocks tightly with all of her arm strength, Nixie squeezed her eyes shut as the storm raged on. Hoping her mother would soon find her and help her back to the safety of the mercommunity.

"Nixie?"

She heard a familiar voice call her name, a voice she hadn't heard in so long that it made goosebumps crawl up on her exposed skin.

"Sirius?"

"What are you doing in the water? I thought you were afraid of it, Nini."

Nixie choked back a sob as she gripped onto the rock harder, listening to the childish voice of Sirius' taunting her back in school.

"I can't believe we're here right now.

His voice was older then, causing Nixie to open her eyes. She suddenly found herself no longer surrounded by the choppy waves and the dark stormy sky. Instead she was standing in front of Sirius in the small field near their first flat.

He looked incredibly handsome as he always did. Smiling at her, his grey eyes bright with happiness  as they stood with each other. She glanced around to see they were surrounded by their friends. Marlene, Lily, James, Peter and Remus along with Nixie's mother all stood with them for the small nontraditional wedding.

She narrowed her eyes in confusion. "You all are alive-" she began but she felt Sirius' hand touch under her chin, directing her to face him once more.

 "From all the times you threatened to throw me into the Black Lake and how much you pretty much hated being around me when we were younger. But you know, ever since we met, I knew there was something special between us. The way we talked with each other, the way we laughed with each other or at each other..it's different from how we interact with everyone else. That's my favorite thing about us. People spend their whole lives searching for what we already found within each other. And it's safe to say that I'm pretty happy that we found it early on, so that we can spend so many years together being this happy. I love you so much, and I'd do anything for you...to make you happy..to see that smile and-"

"NIXIE! NIXIE!"

Meri's voice alerted Nixie from her daydream before she was suddenly knocked back from the rocks and back into the water fully. Her mother wasted no time in grabbing Nixie's arm and pulling her along through the waters.

"Wait..Mum! Wait!"

Meri came to a stop, watching as her daughter's hand reached for the rocks once more. "He was there...he was there!"

Looking out to the rocks, Meri frowned. "Who was there?"

'Sirius..." Nixie said softly. "I..I felt him and..oh Merlin..what am I saying?"

"It's okay, Nixie, come on we need to get out of this storm!"

Nixie took one last glance in the direction of the rocks to see nothing but water.

"It felt so real."

Twelve years since the imprisonment of Sirius Black and not a day went by where he didn't occupy Nixie's thoughts.

"Nixie!" Meri called to her pulling on her daughter's hand.

Nixie shook her head, trying to clear her head of the memories that had once brought her happiness but currently only brought her pain.

Another large wave was incoming and before it could hit either of them, the two mermaids disappeared below the waves.