Chapter Nineteen

Sirius awoke first the next morning, the day they were set to leave the island, and surprisingly, he didn't wake up from a nightmare or to the sounds of rain. Instead, he awoke in a peaceful manner, his eyes slowly opening as they adjusted to the sunlight that was pouring into the tent from the open flap. He lifted his head up and glanced out to catch a glimpse of the blue sky and the calm waters.

He also saw Buckbeak sunbathing but he didn't stare for long as the hippogriff rolled onto his back and opened up his wings to soak up as much sun as possible. He chuckled at the creature's antics before he looked down to see Nixie still asleep beside him.

"Nini.." he whispered to her, giving her a gentle nudge, hoping to wake her up nicely. The woman didn't budge from her sleeping state.

"This is always a battle with you, you know. Nothing has changed, you still sleep like a bloody rock."

He leaned forward slightly and began placing kisses on the bare skin of her exposed shoulder and back.

"Oh Nixie, come on..wake up." he mumbled against her skin.

At the sound of his voice, Nixie let out a slight groan before pulling her robes over her head to continue sleeping.

"Oh no you don't!" He tried pulling it away but Nixie was not about to give up so easily. "Don't fight me, Nixie."

"I wouldn't have to fight, if you would just let me sleep."

"I've let you sleep plenty, now it's time to get up."

"No."

"Nini.." he said in a warning tone.

"Oh no, he lowered his voice. I'm so scared. Have mercy." she replied flatly from beneath the robe.

He lifted a hand to tickle her but as he grew closer and closer, Nixie emerged from under the robes.

"Tickle me and die." she threatened him.

"Okay, the consequences for tickling are far too harsh!" Sirius said causing her to laugh.

"Well, maybe you should just let me sleep then."

"You are so incredibly difficult sometimes, I swear. We're leaving today or have you forgotten?" Sirius said sitting up.

"How could I forget, you've only been talking about it for the last twenty four hours." Nixie said as she removed the robe from her body and sat up beside him. "Wouldn't kill anyone to sleep for an extra fifteen minutes...that's all I'm saying. Beaky has the right idea."

The two looked out where Buckbeak was sleeping in the sun, completely sprawled out.

"It's like having an overgrown cat...that can kill you. I love it." Nixie said pushing herself up and pulling a shirt on over her head before she left the tent.

"I'm glad to see that you two have bonded over being violent in nature and sleeping habits." Sirius mumbled as he followed her out. "I liked it better when both of you were fighting and came to me, now you two are a team!"

Meri was a nervous wreck as she sensed a disturbance in the water and immediately surfaced to find Nixie and Sirius had returned back to familiar waters.

"What are you two doing here?" she asked swimming over to where Nixie was pulling herself out of the water and onto the rock where she had spent a great deal of time. Sirius of course was in his animagus form, swimming around, barking in Meri's direction. His tail wagging above the water as paddled to keep himself afloat.

"Sorry, I couldn't warn you sooner, Mum." Nixie said as she wrung out her hair. "But due to extenuating circumstances, we had to come back."

"What? What's wrong? Were you seen?"

"No." Nixie shook her head. "But we needed to come home for Harry."

"Harry..what happened to Harry? Is he alright? Is he hurt?"

"I'm not entirely sure what's going entirely. But we do know that his scar hurts." she said. "You know..the one he...the one he got that night."

Meri glanced back and forth between her daughter and her son-in-law.

"What does it mean when the scar hurts?" Meri asked.

"We're not sure, at least not in this case." Nixie answered. "But it can't be anything good. Sirius wants to move to be closer to him."

"Nixie..wait just a second you two, now we're talking about something completely different and far more dangerous. Being closer to him, you don't think the Ministry is keeping a close eye on that boy?"

"Sirius was around him a good amount of the time throughout the school year." Nixie pointed out. "I think we can manage to outsmart them for awhile longer."

"Yes, but that was when it was just him, Nixie. Now you're involved. Last time I checked you can't transfer into a dog."

"No, but I get a pretty cool tail." Nixie smiled.

Meri sighed and for the first time in a long time, Nixie could see the usual confidence in her mother's eyes and voice, dwindle. It was obvious that Meri was scared. Afraid for the well being of her child and her son-in-law, hoping that didn't meet ill fates like Henry did. She knew the Ministry wouldn't be kind to them if they were caught, and Nixie probably would become greatly ill if she were locked away in Azkaban with no access to the water.

"Mum.." Nixie said before lowering herself back into the water and swimming over to her. "It's going to be alright. Sirius and I can manage, we have a plan."

"Do you?"

"Somewhat."

"Nixie!"

"We can do this, Mum." Nixie reassured her as she pulled Meri into a hug. "You just have to have a little faith in us, that's all."

"I have all the faith in the world in you two, but I don't have much faith left in the world."