AN ENCHANTRESS

Just as we broke apart from our impromptu display of affection, my phone began its familiar jingle.

"Hi Evan!" I half screamed into the phone, as Vidyut cast me a side long glance. I took the opportunity to lightly punch him for taking his eyes off the road.

"What's up, bro?"

My voice sounded hot and bothered to me, as I tried calming my thudding heart to regain some semblance of composure.

I heard his deep , rumbling voice from the other end of the line, taking in the slight lilt of the faint New Zealand accent that he had picked up, a joyous smile breaking on my face.

When I took in what he was telling me, I started squealing like I was being mauled by a large bear. Vidyut was now looking at me like I was possessed.

"Fuck, yeah! I can't wait for you to get here, bro! Oh shut up! I'm old enough to swear, thank you very much! You're the one who called Aunt Mattie a stuffy old bitch with a rod up her ass when you were 14!"

I ignored Vidyut's quiet chuckle. I was too excited by the prospect of my brother moving to London!

I hung up after swearing at him with varying combinations of my favorite cuss words, barely containing in the animalistic sounds of joy that I wanted to let out.

My brother had always been by best friend, saviour and confidante. he was incredibly talented in picking out my emotions, even as a kid.

I thought back to When I was in grade five and he, in grade seven. I used to get bullied by these two dumb boys, who used to pull my hair and engage in similarly unimaginative pranks.

I never told him about them because I knew that he would punch the shit out of them. But he figured out that I was bothered by something despite my silence.

And one day, as I returned to my classroom after lunch break, dreading getting tripped or booed at, I took note of the lovely black eye that one of them sported, along with the absence of the other to the nurse's room and knew that my brother had my back yet again.

That was Evan for you.

My best friend and brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was counting down the days to when my brother would finally arrive when yet another character entered into my dramatic life in the form of a shy, beautiful mute girl.

I had just come back one day from work, plotting on what was the best way to murder Harry in cold blood and somehow escape the arms of the law. (He had been trying hard to get me to guess whether his or Varun's package was longer/bigger , even taking off his pants to give me a better idea.)

I was planning to head over to Chantelle's afterwards, as it had been 2 days since I last saw Clara.

As I opened the door, Padfoot came jumping onto me, a normal greeting of his whenever Vidyut or I came home. From his over excitement, I realised that we had a visitor.

Frowning at the complete silence in the living room, I walked in, only to see a beautiful woman silently perusing the newspaper, an air of shyness and quiet evident about her even so.

"Hello!" I exclaimed. She completely ignored me, continuing her reading.

Huh. That was rude. And here I thought I could take a liking to her.

Just then, Vidyut walked out of the kitchen with two steaming mugs of coffee in his hand.

She was still way too intent on ignoring the both of us. He smiled a silent greeting at me, before placing a mug down in front of her and laying a hand on her shoulder.