Going Into Earthquake After Shock

Zacznij od początku

“Cut the shit, Ross!” he yells at me “You’re not the only one this is affecting! You’ll just get in the way over there, and I could never forgive you if you ruined the slim chance that my best friend will live! So shut up and sit down!” he gets off me and I see the officers eyeing him. Riker holds his hand out to me and I accept it pulling me up. I go back to my spot against the wall and sit. I watch the EMTs once they have the rope cut she roughly falls, barely being caught by another. I wince as she falls. They lay her on the stretcher and as they take her out one guy says some phrases as the other repeats it into a radio.

“Numerous lacerations, multiple contusions, raw wrists due to rope, stabbed in the chest, guessing from breathing patterns, a collapsed lung.” Then they are gone. I quickly scramble to my feet and run out the door after them.

“Where are you going?” One of my siblings ask.

“I have to follow them to the hospital” I stop and turn around “Riker, keys?”

“Dude we walked here, remember?”

“Shit, well I guess I’m running!” and down I go on the street, following the flashing red lights.

~~~

I sit in the waiting room constantly cracking my knuckles. Suddenly through the thin walls I hear a loud beeping, followed by muffled voices.

“We’ve got a flat line!”

“Crash cart!”

*Sydney POV*

My eyes blink open and I’m pain free. I look up ahead of me and I see him, in the flesh.

“Dad?” I question standing up “Dad!” I start running at him. He smiles and mouths the words Not Yet. And once I reach him he shoves me away and I start falling.

I go black.

I shriek aloud as I am overcome with immense pain, my eyeballs bulges from my head, perhaps attempting to escape the tortures my body is going through. Surrounding me I see every doctor and nurse who’s ever worked on me, I’ve never seen them all in the same room before. Right next to my head is Cynthia I try to speak to her, ask her what’s happening, but I just scream as my body writhes. I’m hot, no I’m burning, and I think she notices because she places an ice pack on my forehead. I let out one last shriek before a breathing mask is put over my mouth and I’m immediately put under.

*Ross POV*

Once the beeping stops I hear loud screams. Her screams, I smile because I know she is alive. But my grin quickly diminishes because I realize the pain she must be in. I curl up in fetal position on my chair, sealing my ears as tightly as I can with my palms.

Everything around me fades.

Except the screams.

*Riker POV*

It’s been a week. She’s not dead and we only know that from the periodical screams that seep through the thin walls. Ross just sits still, he hasn’t spoken a single word, he just stares off as if he is dreaming. The only time he moves is when the door to the ER opens, he snaps his head over, maybe hoping Sydney will be there, or at least a doctor to walk through and give us some news. He also moves whenever she screams, just to plug his ears, sometimes he cries. But other than that he just sits in his chair, he hasn’t been home since it happened. No one in the waiting room wants to sit by him because he smells and cries. It’s only Ross and I here, everyone else is at home asleep.

We hear a beep, signaling the ER door is about to open. We turn and see a doctor and he walks straight to us.

“We have just transferred her to the ICU, she is stable for now if you would like to see her.” Ross is already on his toes, pushing the doctor to lead us there, I follow.

*Ross POV*

Once we step into the ICU I can see Sydney in a room. I run off to her, leaving Riker to talk to the doctor. I slide into the room and sit down next to a sleeping Sydney. I stare at all the bandages until I hear her.

“Ross?” She says softly. I turn to her putting my hand behind her head. I lean over and kiss her.

“Sydney” I think for a second “Will you be my girlfriend again?” She slowly turns her head to me, she smiles, squinting her eyes.

“You get right to it don’t you?” She laughs.

“I figure I don’t have time to waste when it comes to you” I just look at her for an answer, her smile fades.

“Where’s Derek?”

“Locked up, he has a trial next week” She looks up and then rolls her head back toward me.

“Yes” She smiles big, I get up and kiss her again. I hold my forehead against hers.

“Promise you will never leave me again” She grins, kissing me.

“Promise”

“Break up” We hear Riker at the door so we turn “I mean break it up” he says rubbing the back of his neck “I have some stuff to tell you” he sits next to me “I will start with, you have stitches basically everywhere so they are keeping you in here for a week. That’s when they will take the stitches out—“ Sydney stops him.

“Will I scar?”

“He said for the most part no, however he said the deepest cuts which were on your abdomen will most likely scar,” Sydney clenches her teeth “Okay so you will be out of here a day before Derek’s trial, so that will be perfect for you to testify against him”

“Good, I want him to burn” She says. So do i.

*Sydney POV*

Today is the day of the hearing. Derek has been on trial for a week now. As of today most of my cuts have healed, just scabbing left. I think of the scar I will forever have on my stomach. A broken heart, the worst possible reminder I could have to that day, almost a month ago. I sigh as I put on the converse Ross gave me.

Everything else is pretty normal. I’m back with the Lynches. Riker and I are best friends again, as if I never left. And even though I didn’t think it was possible, Ross and I love each other more than ever.

“Hey Sydney” I hear Ross poke his head into mine and Rydel’s room “You ready to kick some ass?” he says referring to the hearing.

“You know it” I smile and we walk down to the living room where everyone else is waiting.

*Riker POV*

I watch them, as they kiss, whisper, giggle. I can’t not think about how much they love each other.

And I can’t stop thinking.

She will never love me.

The way she loves him.

The End