Chapter Fifty-One

Start from the beginning

When I don't move, Jack sighs lightly. "Hey, if we don't go and die here, there'll be no one left to avenge Jasper."

Those simple words finally knock some sense into me, and with the knowledge that I'll be putting more people's lives at risk by being stubborn and staying here to die, I start moving my legs mechanically with the help of Jack's arm holding me upright around my waist. Slowly but gradually we move forwards and out of the dead-end, but with the howls and shouts getting closer, our current speed isn't near enough for Aiyana. 

"This is going way too slow." She declares matter-of-factly, searching the sleeping area with vigilant eyes. The brick buildings with broken windows encase us from every side, looming above us and casting shadows onto the ground with the moon and stars as the only illumination from the night's invincible darkness. 

"Don't you think we know that?" Jack swears again as my knees buckle under once again and my weight drags him down. "Shit, we can't keep going like this." 

-Shift." I whisper, and I actually want to slap him for not doing it earlier. 

"We've already told you," Aiyana says with a sigh, almost as if she's impatient and I'm a little child who still doesn't understand what's happening, "There is barely any connection with the pack at this moment, and if we Shift, all of that communication will be gone."

-That wasn't the case before." I groan again, and she narrows her eyes with annoyance. 

"Well... with the Alpha being the only one to be able to open the pack link while Shifted and being presumed dead, that isn't an option at the moment."

-But you don't know if anyone's alive?

-No but-

"-So what's the point in keeping it up?" I cut her off with question, slightly happy that she looks irritated by that, "What's the point in not saving yourselves to maybe, or maybe not, get a word from a possible survivor. What's the point in dying and not being there to help the possible survivors because you were waiting for - what exactly are you waiting for?"

There's a silence while she mulls over my words, and after a while Jack lets out a sigh, "Okay that's it." With not another indication he sets me down onto the ground and lets his body succumb to the Shift. 

"Jack, what are you-"

He cuts her off with a deadly growl coming from his now fully Shifted form, looming over us both with incredible height. Aiyana shakes her head and grips the knife tighter in her hand. "Fine, but you're carrying her." 

"I was already the one carrying her..." He states with a deadly voice, and she huffs, turning around and beginning to sprint in the direction of the warehouse. Even though she can't Shift because of some stupid sexist bastard who created the werewolves in the first place, her speed nearly matches up to the speed of one.

The wind whips at my hair and face as Jack soars through the air towards the towering building that becomes more and more imposing the closer we get to the deadly battlefield. As we go further away from the place we were, my eyes keep fluttering closed to control the tears as the only words I can think about circle around in my mind.

We left Jasper... we left him...

"I'll take the front, you go in from the back and take down as many as you can. Camilla you just -" Aiyana waves her hand around in the air towards me and squints, "-do you. Let's go!"

"Gee thanks!" I yell sarcastically, but in a second she's already soared around a corner and disappeared into the warehouse's entrance. The prominent indication that some are still alive and fighting in there are the sounds of blood-curling howls and raging screams of pain and torture, or aggression and anger. The ones that freeze me the most are the maniacal laughs echoing around the building as the fight goes on.