Chapter Six

The first morning of the week. Help. But what makes it even worse are the hushed whispers that seem to be everyone's favourite way of conversing in school as I hurry down the halls nervously. Killer, dog, blood and bitch are the main words that reach my ears as I slump down into my seat and the time ticks by on that stupid clock, slowly, tauntingly, providing me with a lot of time before class to memorise the murderous glare in the man's eyes as he plants his deadly teeth into Alexandra's pale neck before my eyes. Because this school is - sadly- my only way of distraction.

The bell suddenly rings, bringing me out of my glum thoughts as students fill the classroom and the piercing sound of the history teacher's sharp heels echoes on the floor with each step she takes. I wouldn't usually hear it because of the morning chatter, but today's surprisingly wary and deafening silence brings everyone's attention to any - even small - movement in the class. "Good morning students," Mrs Kershaw begins in a reverent, sharp voice. Her beetle-like eyes dart around the classroom, analysing each and every one of our sombre faces. Her hair has been pulled back into a tight chignon, and her manicured nails show on her meticulously folded fingers.  "We will all take a minute to mourn the sad -"

I block out her distinctively acute tone and stare at the spot above her head on the wall as the murderer's icy eyes flash before me.

·

"It was hilarious! One minute she was skating and then BAM, flat on her arse! She was-"

The laughing voices immediately simmer down as I set my tray down onto the table, staring at the cafeteria food with disgust. I just keep staring, feeling everyone's eyes on me. I can just imagine Damien's smug grin on his stupid face, but even that isn't important enough to slap off. "Cami! I was just telling them about the best ice-"

"I heard," I cut him off in a dead voice, not feeling anything. It's the best way to stop the nightmares from clouding my vision. 

"Jeez... someone's PMS'ing," Jack mumbles, scanning my reaction. I don't even have a sassy comeback for that one. "Okay," he continues, throwing a fry at my face. I don't flinch. He frowns. "Something's definitely wrong." I sit down wordlessly, numbly. Emma lifts my chin and it's then that I truly see all of their burning eyes on me. It's intimidating. I blink and focus on my best friend's soft ones as she gives me a reassuring smile. 

"Is it because of Alexandra?"

"You knew her didn't you," I ask, looking down at my plate again. 

"Yes," she replies quietly,  "But not that well. It's still sad though. But that's not what I was wondering." There's a dead pause and I shift uncomfortably in my seat. "Do you still have nightmares," she inquires, fixing me with a curious gaze. "Because it's been over a week now."

"Oh come on, Emma. They're just nightmares, everyone has them," I laugh nervously. I glance into each boy's eyes and hurriedly look away, noticing that they're all just staring at me, remaining impassively still. For some reason, I don't want to talk about it, about any of it actually, even though my heart is bursting to just spill it out. But something tells me that I shouldn't and that I should just endure it and wait until it ends. If it ends... I shudder at the thought. I will truly go mad and end up in a psychiatric ward if it doesn't.

"Uhuh." Emma takes a bite of her sandwich and eyes me from the corner of her eye, and I know that she doesn't believe me. Shit. I seriously do not want to be a part of any kind of invasive interrogation later. 

"But YOU," I begin, glad to have changed the subject as her eyes widen with surprise. "You, missy, left me totally stranded in the middle of the night, and I was literally freezing my butt off. Plus, it was seriously scary. I'm sure there was a wild animal following me or something," I finish, shooting Emma a glare as she stares down at her plate with embarrassment.