Chapter Fifteen

Friday's crisp and clear daylight is beginning to fade when I step out of Jasper's truck, listening to their laughter when the drop between the car and the ground causes me to land flat on my arse.

"Shitholes," I mutter, groaning at the throbbing in my cheeks. 

"You love me boo boo!"

"Sometimes I seriously doubt that Jack," I reply grumpily. I roll my eyes when he comes skipping over to me and extends a hand for me to take. "What a gentleman," I continue sarcastically, and he laughs at my reply before hoisting me up effortlessly.

"Come on dipshits!" Jasper's voice echoes from somewhere in the woods, already too far away for him to have walked in human speed. Trees surround me from every side and the rare sunlight that we have gotten in the middle of winter is shadowed by the thick leaves. The snow drapes the environment like a fuzzy winter coat, sparkling white diamonds cast onto the ground by the rays. It's nonetheless a blue sky that hangs over us today but still keeping the air at a chilly temperature with its biting frost. Jasper parked the truck in this small clearing that we swerved into when we left the road a while back, and the forest stretches out in front of us for God knows how many miles. Just thinking about walking through that makes my legs shake, and we haven't even set off yet. 

"How far is it from here," I ask, trying to keep my voice light-hearted. I'm dreading the answer though. 

"Umm... you'll see?" Jack looks at me sheepishly, already beginning to turn towards the forest when my eyes widen. 

"You can't be serious," I protest, hearing my voice come out as a whine. I know that I'm being pathetic, but trudging through miles and miles of snow without food or water after a tiresome day at school hasn't exactly been on my bucket list. But Jack will have none of that. He claps his hands impatiently and sets off at a fast pace.

"Come on! Move those human legs!" I jog up beside him, my breaths beginning to come out in short puffs of laboured air as he increases the speed. 

"Can't you just carry me and use werewolf speed on something?"

"Girl, I'm sorry, but even I wouldn't be able to carry you."

"Did you just call me fat," I ask shrilly, now feeling my legs pump faster as annoyance tunnels through me at a fast pace. Jack casts a quick glance my way and starts jogging. 

"No, of course not." But he still keeps jogging. My eyes narrow. 

"YOU BETTER RUN JACK," Jasper shouts from far away, and Jack looks between me and the distance, before setting off in an unbelievable sprint. 

"GET YOUR WEREWOLF ARSE OVER HERE RIGHT NOW," I shout furiously, running towards the already empty spot with fisted hands. 

"Catch me first," he yells back, his voice laced with humour. 

I will kill that boy when I get him. 

I stop and let out a huff, placing my hands on my hips. Then I turn back around and head back towards the truck. 

"Cami," a small voice calls from the car and I smile, walking over to help Mary's tiny frame down to the ground. My parents wanted me to babysit her today, so here she is.  

Is it a good idea to bring a five-year-old girl into a house full of werewolves? 

Would it make me a bad sister if I said, 'let's find out'? 

.

After a twenty minutes walk of cuts and bruises, I finally hear the ecstatic voice of Jack somewhere close. The trees are still closed in on us, but we've been following a little, barely visible, windy path above scattered rocks and tree trunks. Somehow Mary hasn't got a single cut on her, while I'm practically covered with them all over my arms. They tore through my jacket!