Chapter Forty-Four

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming-" I sing, wandering around the cabin. I've been doing this for about an hour - yes, this place is shockingly massive, with hidden staircases and lofts that I had never seen before. It has been shockingly cleaned to perfection in little amount of time since last night's party, and no trace of dirt anywhere can be seen. I even run a finger over the balustrade that looks over the open planned kitchen/living room below.

Nope, not even dust.

I take a few steps down the other hall, revelling in the feeling of the warmth of the sun on my skin that filters through the large panoramic windows. Then, the sobs reach me and I hold my breath, squinting through the sunlight only to find a shaking figure. Jack is leaning against one clear window, resting his head back against the glass and tears streaming down his face. I take a quiet step closer but he hears me and sniffles, turning his head towards me. His eyes are haunted and clouded, any cheerfulness gone from their sparkling almond depths.

"What do you want?" His voice comes out monotonous, and without hesitation I slide down next to him, interlacing his fingers with mine. At first he freezes, but then I feel his body slump against mine as he lets the tears flow once again. I stroke his hair as he leans his head on my shoulder, not caring much about the water splashing onto the fabric of the sweater.

"Shh, it'll be okay..."

"Jasper - he's alright. He looks like shit, but he's alright."

A huge weight seems to lift off of my shoulders and evaporate into thin air. "Did umm, did they catch the attacker?"

"What was left of him you mean?" Jack says nonchalantly, all the while surprise fills me. This is new.

"He's dead?"

"The part we found of him is - being the head, but... I don't know, he might turn into a zombie or something..."

"Jack..." I begin, and he cuts me off with a light chuckle, tears still staining his cheeks wet.

"You're still a bigger drama queen than me..." He mutters through hiccupy sobs, and I chuckle slightly, feeling a weight lifting of my shoulders. My happy Jack is slowly shining through again.

"Yeah right." I huff, and he laughs sadly a bit, no longer crying. I sigh deeply for a dramatic amount of time and then get to my feet, a smile forming on my face when Jack frowns at my actions.

"I was comfortable..." He mutters grumpily as I pull him up by the hands.

"OH MY GOD!" Jack jumps and immediately pushes me behind him, surveying the area with wide eyes and extended arms.

"WHAT'S GOING ON!?"

"I HAVEN'T OPENED MY PRESENTS!" I yell back, eyes wide in shock. Jack turns around to look at me with a dumbfounded face, staring at me.

"Are you fucking kidding me?"

"No! I broke the tradition! Oh my God Jack, my birthday was YESTERDAY!" He shakes his head at me as I pull his arm and start leading him away. "COME ON!"

And then I pull him off with all my might while he has fun resisting me with his stupid werewolf strength until we arrive downstairs where a tense atmosphere reigns. The only thing breaking through it is Pam's soft humming as she stirs a wooden spoon around in the pancake batter. My stomach grumbles at the thought of breakfast and all eyes fly to me as I steer Jack down the stairs.

I freeze instantly and Jack bumps into me with a grunt that nearly sends us tumbling down the stairs.

"What the hell, you boob!?" He exclaims and I blink several times, muttering a grumpy apology as we resume our way down. Jack jumps onto one of the comfy couches and zones in on a cartoon that's currently playing on the flat screen TV hanging above the extinguished fireplace - it's way too hot now for that kind of heat. Damien is watching the cartoon as well.