11

"Large café mocha double-double."

As I brought it to the table I began to think about Becca the way I had a few weeks ago. It felt like I was seeing her again for the first time. She cleared her face of all make up and had on a knit sweater and threw her curls into a wild bun. Earlier in school, she didn't look like that. The makeup was pounded onto her face and she was wearing a bodycon dress that hugged her in all the right places.

"Hey, you changed," I said.

"Yeah I was hoping we could go out after you get out of work? The dress and heels weren't exactly appropriate for where I want to go."

"What do you have in mind?"

"You'll see. If you come with me, that is," she said.

"I think that can be arranged."

Hopefully Jordan wouldn't mind. I'd already spent the week with her, minus a few days. It was Friday night but she didn't make any plans with me already. Whenever I thought about Jordan, she just seemed to pop up. The bells jingled and she happily skipped up to the counter. I noticed the slight dip in her shoulders as she looked behind Thomas.

"Over here Jordan," I said loud enough for her to hear.

"Hey!" She nearly ran over to me and squished me as she hugged me.

"Hey back. French vanilla?"

"You know me so well." I almost wished that were true; although we've been spending time together, I didn't know much past the basic getting-to-know-you.

"I'll be back."

I assumed she made small talk with Becca as she waited. The machine was sputtering and not working correctly so I had to go in the back and get Will.

"Sorry, machine's busted. Might be a while," I said when I got back to Becca's table.

"It's all good. I'll just take one of those lovely looking banana nut muffins."

"You'll have to talk to Thomas about that," I answered. "I handle drinks only."

"Do you wanna go out tonight?" Jordan asked before going to the counter.

She didn't ask like a friend would ask to hang out. She asked like a girlfriend would. We were still standing in front of Becca and I felt like it was being done on purpose. Either way, she'd probably be upset that I was ditching her, in a way, to be with Rebecca.

"I can't, already have plans."

"With who?"

"That would be me." Becca interjected.

"Oh. Well I will just see you some other time then." she sounded like her balloon had been popped.

"No, would you mind if Jordan came with us?" I turned to ask Becca.

"Park, it's okay. You have fun with Rebecca, okay?" Jordan said.

"Are you sure?"

"Definitely, I'll talk to you later."

She gave me a kiss on the cheek and looked at Becca before she walked away. I wish I could've seen the look in Jordan's eyes. The look in Becca's made it seem like they were playing a dangerous game. Still, Becca smiled at me through the rest of my shift and waited for me. I'd walked that day, and Thomas left for another mystery date. As she drove to our destination, I let my dad know that I wouldn't be coming straight home.

Becca lightly grabbed my hand when we got there and pulled me into a very sketchy looking building. It was in a part of town I'd never been in, probably only passed by. I noticed the bright smile that lit her face as we passed through the entrance to the arcade.