13

I wanted to call off of work because I didn't want to see Rebecca after yesterday's events, but I'd hardly worked the past week; I was even scheduled for Sunday for taking off so much. Thomas called me as I was getting ready and asked for a ride, which meant I would have to leave earlier than I wanted. He came out on time for once, and I barely recognized him with a fresh haircut and dye. He now had honey blonde hair with a small quiff on top of his head.

"Well look at you. I told you it was just a phase." I teased, joking about his previous haircut. He had the long emo haircut from eighth grade, which turned into a man bun in the past year.

"Shut up," he said, blushing.

"Who's the do for?"

"No one," Thomas said too quickly.

I knew something was off as well, because his voice deepened. I let it drop and drove to Rizzo's with a smile on my face the entire time. Thinking that he possibly had a significant other distracted me from my thoughts and my problem. Except, I couldn't seem to get away from it; Becca was standing at the black matte counter when I arrived. There was no other way to get to the employee room without going through the front so I at least said hello to Becca on the way there.

"What's going on?" Thomas asked the second I entered the back room.

He was sitting in one of the plastic chairs near the water cooler, legs crossed as if he was a father about to interrogate his child.

"What do you mean?" I asked laughing.

"With Becca," he clarified. "You went out with her last night and I didn't hear anything from you. I think I know you pretty well, and you would've called me the second you stepped into your apartment."

Thomas crossed his arms as well and waited for a response.

"Okay, okay. Becca took me to this arcade and we kissed. She told me she liked me."

"Okay so what's the problem?"

"I saw Jordan last night and we also kissed."

"So my girl is getting all the action. Why are you complaining?"

"I think I like Jordan more but now she knows about Becca and I'm pretty sure Jordan will never talk to me again."

"So date Becca. You're in love with her! You have been for a while, a lot longer than you've known Jordan."

He was right; I was probably just excited about something new. Dating Becca would be something new and it would help me forget about Jordan.

"What about you?" I asked, while putting on my name tag.

"What do you mean?"

"Don't play dumb Thomas. You're smiling a lot more often now. You changed your hair?"

"It was time to retire the man bun."

"Thomas."

"Fine. I'll tell you after our shift. We have to go."

Although I agreed with Thomas, I wasn't exactly thrilled to go right out and see Becca. Especially with the possibility of Jordan coming by and seeing us together. Regardless, I had a job to do. Becca was finishing her pastry when I took my usual spot behind the counter. We awkwardly caught each other's eye but she still smiled brightly like she did every time I saw her. My lips curled as well despite how I was feeling inside. She rose from her seat and I noticed her attire. Again, she was dressed casually. A pair of jeans and a plain black t-shirt has never looked so good. This girl knew exactly how to get me. Without me realizing, she was in front of me. Her lips were moving but I didn't hear what she was saying, like it was out of a movie.