five.

"Winifred, stop wringing your hands. You're making me uneasy with all your fidgeting."

A two weeks after meeting Lady Blackheart, Winifred and Lord Blackheart were in his study waiting for the arrival of his sister. They were supposed to reveal the truth of Winifred's past and then if all went as well as Lord Blackheart predicted it would, they could proceed with the planning.

Winifred was not convinced at all. The night before she had steeled her emotions and accepted that Lady Blackheart would not accept her. She was ready for it. Or at least she was. But now, minutes before the meeting was to start she couldn't stop her stomach from tightening. And her wringing hands were just the outward sign of the tension pulsing through her body.

"I'm sorry, sir." Her voice trembled betraying her anxiety. She tried to stop, but all that accomplished was making her feel trapped in her own skin. Her foot began to tap.

Lord Blackheart sighed. He stood by the window, tall and firm with seemingly no fear whatsoever, no indication that anything bothered him at all. But the sound of her feet tapping incessantly was beginning to bother him not because he didn't want her making any noise but because he could clearly see that she was very disturbed by what could happen. He knew that she was not going to calm down until it was over but he did want to give her one last reassurance before his sister walked into the room. There was not much time for his sister's carriage just pulled up to the front of the house. He walked over to where Winifred sat.

She was watching the fire blaze unaware that she was shaking from her foot tapping. Her eyes were on the flames but she did not see anything except the angry face of Lady Blackheart accusing her of deception and calling her a fraud. Her heart felt twisted up into her chest and it tightened with every beat.

"Winifred," Lord Blackheart softened his voice for her benefit. She looked up at him, forehead wrinkled, eyes drawn and dark, and her lips tight. He found himself wanting to comfort her.
"I know that you are nervous, but you must remember that my sister is a kind person and will be understanding. Furthermore, I will vouch for you. I know that you are a hard working woman and you have been nothing but a gloriously splendid cook. And there is nothing my sister can say that will make me fire you, you have my word on that."

Winifred was once again astounded by this man's kindness. She wondered at times if the life she was living was real or if one day she would wake up in her dark and dank room to her crushed by the realization that none of this was real. Where did men like him come from? She had never known of a single one, in real life or in fiction. They were all the same. Except for this one, who took a woman like her into his home and vouched for her conduct. Who gave her a home, his home to call her own. She felt terribly unworthy of all that he had given her. She had done nothing to deserve this and yet here she was, with the promise of a home and the security of her job, no matter what even someone as close as his sister said about her.

"I-I,"
There was a knock on the door and despite the assurances that Lord Blackheart had given her, the trepidation reappeared on her face.

He gave her a reassuring look and patted her shoulder.
"It will be fine." He said.

The butler led his sister into the room. She seemed to just glide in as if she were not wearing the high heeled shoes that were so much in fashion.

"Ric," she greeted him enthusiastically, giving him a hug and kiss on the cheek, "I hope I did not keep you both waiting. I do my best to be early but John drives that carriage like an old person."

She walked over to Winifred who had stood when she entered the room.

"My dear Winifred, I hope you are well." She said, holding her arms affectionately.