Chapter Twenty ✦ Autumn Leaves

Colors {Stollace} Chapter Twenty Autumn Leaves

"You're miles away and yesterday you were here with me," Ed Sheeran Autumn Leaves

✦ Connor ✦

  (a week after last chapter)

  Connor hadn't heard from Will all day, and naturally, it worried him. Will had been acting weird the night before, but the blonde told Connor it was nothing, so he shook it off. Now he was worried that something had happened, or that Will was in trouble.

  No, he needed to stop over reacting. Will was probably hanging out with his dad's, or with Nico or Leo. He was fine and Connor needed to relax.

  He sighed as he slammed his locker shut and headed to the tables outside, where Nico and Leo were already sitting. Connor sat across from the couple. Typically, he felt like a third wheel, but that day, he was so out of it, he didn't even realize Leo had been talking to him until he began snapping in Connor's face. Connor jumped and looked towards the Latino, watching as he raised an eyebrow.

  "Are you okay? You look really spaced out."

  "I'm fine-"

  "Bull shit," Nico said, giving Connor a pointed look. "What's going on in that curly head of yours?"

  "Will was acting weird last night and he hasn't texted me at all today and...I dunno, I'm just worried," Connor admitted.

"I'm sure he's fine. If something happened, his dads would have already told you by now," Nico assured him, giving him a strained smile.

"I'm not too sure about that. Apollo doesn't like me- That's it!" Connor snapped and stood up, throwing his bag over his shoulder.

"What's it?" Leo asked.

"I'll go ask Apollo what's going on."

Connor rushed to the nurse's office, barging in the door. A sub was there, looking bored out of his mind. Connor's heart dropped to his stomach as he realized that Apollo wasn't even there.  

He rushed out, ignoring the nurse calling for him, and hurriedly dialed Will's number, his stomach churning. It went straight to voicemail, so he called again and again and again. No one answered, and he felt panic rise up in his chest, falling against the wall as he tried to regulate his breathing.

  "Connor, are you okay?" Travis rushed over to him, helping him stand up. "Breathe, Connor."

  Connor took a big gulp of air and finally calmed himself down. He rarely had panic attacks, and he didn't know how to deal with them.

  "I had a panic attack," he whispered to Travis.

  "I could tell," Travis said, rubbing Connor's back. "What triggered it?"

  "Will isn't answering and Apollo isn't here."

  "So?" Travis asked, trying to assure his little brother. "I'm sure-"

  "The only time Apollo misses work is when Will either has attempted or is in the hospital," Connor choked out.

  "Attempted what-" Travis suddenly stopped himself, his eyes widening. "Oh," he whispered. "Let's ditch."

  Connor nodded and aimlessly followed Travis as he walked outside, before leading Connor to his car. They both hopped in and Travis turned to Connor.

  "Do you want to go to their house?"

  Connor nodded, so Travis started the car and headed towards the apartment building where Will lived. Connor hurriedly got out of the car and ran to the door, knocking. No one answered, and his heart fell to his stomach once again as he knocked and knocked and knocked. He began to panic again, so he ditched the house and ran back to Travis' car.

"We have to go to the hospital-"

"Connor, take a breather for a second."

"I can't. We have to - I have to - I can't lose him," Connor stuttered as he sat in the car. "We need to get to the hospital, please," he choked out, so Travis sighed and started the car.

"Alright. We'll go, just take a deep breath and relax. I'm sure it'll be fine."

  Connor nodded and took some deep breaths as he stared out of the window. He tried to convince himself that everything was okay, but how could it be? Will wasn't answering, no one was home, and Apollo wasn't at work. That was a recipe for disaster and Connor had a gut feeling that something was really, really wrong. They finally got to the hospital and Connor ran up to the front desk.

  "I'm looking for Will Solace," he said and the lady gave him a look, before typing on her computer.

  "What's your relation to the patient?"

  "He's my boyfriend," Connor said, running a shaking hand through his hair.

  "He's in ICU."

  Connor's chest seized and he felt a lump rise in his throat.

  "Is he okay?" Connor asked and the lady gave him a sympathetic glance.

  "I don't know," she said honestly. "He's in room 317, but only direct family will be allowed in."

  "Can I still go up there?"

  "Yes."

  He dragged Travis up to ICU, using the stairs because the elevator was taking too long. When they finally got to the hall, Connor saw Apollo and Hyacinth waiting in chair, Hyacinth's arm over Apollo's shoulder as he sobbed into his hands. Connor felt himself heading towards a breakdown, but he swallowed his fear and ran up to them.

  "What happened?" he asked, his hands shaking wildly as Hyacinth looked up at him. 

  "Shouldn't you be at school?" he inquired softly and Connor's hands balled into fists.

  "What happened?!" he demanded, this time angry, but also terrified.

  "Will attempted," Hyacinth admitted, and Connor noticed the tear marks that lined his cheeks. His eyes were bloodshot and red.

  "Is he going to be okay?" Connor whispered brokenly, his voice dying half way through the sentence. Hyacinth seemed to have trouble forcing the answer out.

  "I don't...we don't know," he said, softly, but angrily as he stared at the floor. "The doctor said that...that it was most likely he wasn't going to-to make it," Hyacinth forced out. "That we might've found him too late."

  Connor felt his knees buckle, but Travis caught him. The older brother turned the sobbing boy around and pulled him against his chest. They didn't say anything, but Travis rubbed Connor's back and held him tightly, letting him cry into his shoulder.

  Rain began to hit the roof of the hospital building. Connor peeked out of the window and saw that it was dark and cloudy.

  How appropriate, he thought bitterly, that his sunshine was dying right as the sunlight was destroyed by the dark clouds.

(A/N: I lied, the next chapter will be the last. I couldn't fit all of it into this one chapter, so... Also, you should pay attention to the song lyrics. They all actually mean something to the story.)