Chapter 1: You're Kidding Right?

"Kennedy! Kennedy!" A pause then, "Kennedy Anne if you don't drag your butt out of that bed, I will come up and drag it out myself! Now wake up!"

I grumble under my breath and roll over, smooshing my pillow over my head in the process.

I hear my mom's high heels coming up the stairs and enter my room. In a matter of seconds, my blankets were pulled off me and my pillow was ripped off my head.

I blinked rapidly at the bright morning light as my mom opened my curtains. "Mom!" I exclaimed. "What was that for!?" I glared at her.

She turned around, "I warned you. You need to get up, we have to talk."

Ught oh. That was never fun. The last time she told me we needed to talk, it was because she had seen something on the news about teen pregnancies and she was certain I was having morning sickness.

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever."

She sat down on the edge of my bed hesitantly. "Well..." She stopped. "Never mind, how about you get dressed and around and I'll meet you in the breakfast nook to talk." She stood up and hurried out of my room quickly.

I looked at her retreating back, wondering what it was that had her so nervous. She never acted like that. "Okay?" I said as more of a question than a statement.

I rolled out of bed and wandered into my ensuite. I hopped in the shower, then hopped back out thirty minutes later after doing my hair and shaving. I dried off quickly before throwing on a pair of Hollister jean shorts and a pink tanktop layered over my black sports bra.

I left my blonde hair down in waves and I did my makeup. A bit of eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss and I was good to go.

I walked down the steps admiring the Beverly Hills estate. There were six bedrooms, each with a bathroom off of them, a large up to date kitchen, three living spaces with TVs and games, two full sized offices, and a small room off the kitchen that we called the breakfast nook.

I headed there and found my mom with glazed doughnuts sitting in front of her.

"Mom? I thought I told you I'm done eating doughnuts!?" I patted my size 0 waist. "Zach told me I was gaining weight." I pouted. She knew glazed doughnuts were my fave junk food.

She looked at me, "Please, just one."

I grabbed a low-fat yogurt out of the fridge and sat down across from her. "Sorry mom."

She gave me a dejected look before nodding once. "Okay." She took a bite out of a doughnut before continuing. "So, I've been thinking. It is hard on kids these days with a lot of them growing up with one parent. They are missing a valuable part of their life experience and it complicates things. You're father isn't a bad person necessarily but, we just weren't right for each other..." She trailed off and I got worried.

"Mom, where are you going with this!?" I said, my voice quickly raising.

She didn't look at me, "I got in touch with your father and he wants you to spend the summer with him at his ranch."

"Are you kidding me! No! Absolutely not! If he didn't want to see me when I was a baby, why does he want to see me now?" I said jumping to my feet.

My mom watched me carefully. "Well... He is- well he called it courting- and he told this woman that he is dating that he had a daughter who meant the world to him and they would be great together and she decided she wanted to meet you."

I snorted, "Why would he tell her that? The man hasn't even made an effort to get in touch with me for the past 18 years now all the sudden he apparently loves me so much. He doesn't even know me. Well I'm not going," I put my nose in the air. "I'm not going to be some part of his plan to win some woman over."

"Well, unfortunately for you, you have no choice. The airplane tickets are bought, and you are leaving on Wednesday at eight from LAX."

"In the morning!?" My mom nodded her confirmation. "That's the first day of summer vacation, I usually sleep in!"

"Well sleep on the plane. You have no choice Kennedy so you may as well accept it. Now, I have an important meeting with a client. Be safe."

She stood up and went to grab her briefcase. My mom is a market manager for companies around Hollywood.

I pulled out my brand new up to date Apple iPhone 6E in Rose and texted my best friend, Brittany.

Hey babe, meet @ Starbucks in 1/2 hr? -K

She texted right back.

Absolutely! -B

Have something important to tell you. -K

I grabbed the keys to my black Chevy Corvette out of my purse and went out the door into the attached garage. I jumped in the driver's seat and started my baby up. I pulled out of the driveway and sped off toward Hollywood.

Twenty minutes later I pulled in to the parking lot and parked, taking up two spaces so my baby couldn't be touched. I hopped out and pushed my Prada sunglasses on my face. I locked my car and headed into Starbucks.

I ordered a Caffé Latte and told the Batista my name. He smiled and told me he would call for me when it was done and I sat down in a small corner booth.

Not long after Brittany walked through the door. She glanced around, saw me, and waved. She walked up to the counter and ordered what I was guessing was a Coffee Frappachino- her usual.

After she ordered, she came over and sat across from me. She pushed her Jimmy Choo sunglasses up on the top of her head and searched my face, her brown eyes concerned. "What's the matter Ken?"

"What do you mean," I asked faking a smile.

She gave me a disbelieving look. "Bull."

"Okay, well..." I sighed. "The truth is, I'm going to my dad's this summer."

Her jaw dropped. "Your dad? As in the cowboy?"

"Don't call him that!" I begged. "We agreed not to mention that!"

"Kennedy!" The male Batista called and I stood up. I grabbed my cup as he winked at me.

I sat back down with my drink and take a long sip. "Ahh," I instantly relax and lay my head back against the back of the seat.

"OMG, Ken. Why!?"

"What?" I sat up and looked at Brittany who was staring at my cup.

She pointed and I followed her finger. On my cup some of the words were scribbled out with the marker so the only words left were 'Careful you're hot'. The Batista's number was written with a 'call me?'.

"Every time Ken, every time. You should just tell him you are taken." She shook her head as if she was disappointed in me.

I rolled my eyes, "As if!"