Part 2: Rising from the Ashes

My mother turns around in the front seat, her eyes are as blue as the sky and the moon light reflects off of them like a clear pond. Her blond hair looks white against the moon light as it falls down her shoulders. People say I get my looks from her but she's always prettiest in the family.
"How is the camp so far, honey?" she asks in her protective tone." Are they treating you right? Do they feed you enough? Did you start training yet?" I smile at her worry.
"I'm fine mom," I say to her with a reassuring tone.
My dad looks at me through the rear view mirror, his blue eyes meet mine and his black is combed back with what he likes to call his "fancy hair style"." Don't worry about him Gloria," he says to my mom, holding my gaze." You can handle anything they throw at you can't you, Hunter." He says it more like a statement than a question.
Dad always thought I would be the toughest boy he knew. But he didn't know I couldn't be tough enough that night.
We were going home for Christmas. The camp let us out on special occasion once in a while, my parents just picked me up from the canp, we're heading home along a road made on the hillside, no railings on the side. I'll get to see my brother Alex for the first time since I got my powers.
"These roads aren't safe to drive on," my father says. He's been looking in the rear view mirror too much, whenever I catch him staring he just smiles at me."This truck has been on our tail for the past twenty minutes."
     "I know, David," my mom says."Just keep driving we'll be fi-"
Just then we feel something hit the back of the car, my dad straightens the car and grips the steering wheel harder. "Drive faster David," my mom yells. The truck hits us again and we nearly go flying down the hill this time, but my dad straightens the car again. The truck is just too fast, it pulls up beside our car, casting a shadow over us. I can see it clearly now, an all white tractor trailer, 18 wheeler with a military grade bumper that probably mangled the back of our car.
My dad meets eyes with the passenger, who's wearing a ski mask and shaded glasses. "Oh my God," I hear my dad whisper to himself. He tries slamming on the gas but the truck keeps up.
        The truck suddenly banks in our direction and slams into the side of our SUV. We feel the wheels on the right side of the car vibrate as we nearly go flying down the hill, dad whips the car back on to the road, but too slow.
        The truck hits us again, this time we don't get our control back and the car speeds down the hill, my mom is screaming, dad is griping the wheel and cursing and praying, my mom keeps screaming, as we speed and bump down the hill.
      We come to a painful stop when the front of our car smashes in to a tree, I get pulled forward and my seat belt yanks on my neck in protest, I feel it slightly cut into my neck with a stinging pain. I slam back into my seats when the car goes still.
       I feel dazed and the cut in my neck stings when I reach to touch it. But my parents don't look so good. My dad's head leans on the window with a blood stain, my mom's chin is touching her chest and she has a gash on above her brow and her nose is gushing blood. Both of then knocked out cold and bleeding out. Just then I smell gasoline and smoke begins to rise from the front of our car, which is completely smashed in. I don't know if smoke is a bad thing but my gut tells me to get the hell out.
     I click the seat belt of and swing my door open, I stumble out of the car and look up the hill side we just came crashing down from. The truck hs stopped on the road. Once the man in the ski mask sees me step out of the car he begins to open his door. I move over to the passenger door and yank my mother's door open. She moans when I start unbuckling the seat belt. She opens her eyes and sees me. Worry crosses her face." Oh honey," she says reaching for my neck to examine the wound." Are you okay?"
     "Yeah I'm okay mom," I assure her."But you aren't. We need to get out of here mom." I look back up to the hill, the man with the ski mask starts walking down. With a gun in his hand.
     My mom looks to her left and sees my dad, she covers her mouth with her hand in shock."David," she says almost in disbelief. I grab her hand to pull her out of her daze. She notices my hand and steps out of the car immediately, almost falling but I hold her up. The man in yhe ski mask is halfway down the hill, loading his shiny dessert eagle
      I run around the front of the car - well I run around the tree that's  destroyed the car- to my dad's side of the car, yanking my mom's arm behind me. I reach his door and yank it open. He has blood pouring from the wound on his head. He slumps to the side, his head leaning out the open door, blood falling on the grass.
      "Oh lord," I hear my mother moan behind me." I told your father to put those air bags back in," she says almost crying. I look back up the hill and see the man, but I don't have to look far because he's at least five feet from our car and he lifts his gun to aim in our direction.
      In a hurry I reach over my dad to unbucle his seat belt but it gets stuck. Damn this old crappy car. I end up ripping the seat belt and I start to pull my dad out trying to hold his weight on my-