Introduction

Maya was not so little anymore, considering she was a newly accepted student at Columbia University to begin her school of arts four year program. All her life she wanted nothing more but to succeed in something she loved so dearly, art. She would always remember the first time she picked up her first brush, she was 12. It was nothing special in the beginning, just another boring class. However, sitting on that stool in front of a blank canvas surrounded by all the colors of the world she couldn't help but to lose herself once she picked up that brush. A color here, a color there. A line there and three down there. One more tree up here, and two mountains centered there. As she was so focused on her painting the bell rang and she slowly heard everyone get up from their seats and out the door but she was still there. Frozen. Gazing at her painting a sudden glow appeared on her face. She still had her brush and palette in both hands and she felt silly but she took one look at her brush and said, "We have quite the journey ahead of us".

And to this day Maya still had the first brush she painted with tucked away in her box of tools inside of a purple bag labeled "Maya" stitched in gold, a one of kind customized flat brush bag. Every now and then when she wanted to give up on her dream she took out the bag and played with her brush. She didn't know if the brush gave her hope to keep going or if it was the person who gave her the bag, Josh. He gave her this gift the night of her 16th birthday party when they shared a kiss for the first time. Maya have dreamed of this day but when she pulled away from what seemed to be a perfect moment Josh did not give her the reaction she expected. He then,as always, proceeded to use the three years older card and reminded how they were in it for the long game. Since that night she has not seen him and has told no one of the kiss, not even Riley. It has been a while since she thought of him and how he was doing. Of course she would get updates from Riley and her family but it was not the same as hearing it from him. Just his name brought back the memories they shared at Mount Sun Lodge, where Josh finally admitted to liking her back. The memory of them holding hands is buried so deep inside of her that it hurts to even think about. She wanted him more than anything at that time, but now she was clueless. The older she became the more she focused on her studies. She wanted to prove to herself and everyone she was going to make it in life, and she finally did with her acceptance letter to the program. But during all this time where was Josh? She knew they were playing the long game but that certainly didn't mean to avoid each other at all costs. This always happened when she took out her brush, she thought about him and what they would be someday but the more she thought about them being together the less she believed in it like when she was younger. Perhaps it was just a crush all along and nothing more. Maybe he was just her little hopeless fantasy.

She sighed and placed her brush back in her bag and placed her tool kit in her suitcase. She was finally packed and ready to begin her journey. She took a glimpse of her empty room. She walked around and stroked her hand against all the walls until she was next to her bed and single suitcase. She took a seat and closed her eyes wondering if this was all a dream. Opening her eyes seconds later, she was still here in the New York air; hearing the people of the streets she got up and watched them over her window wondering if they too had problems like her. She stepped away and returned to her bed to lay down, her final night had finally approached.

"You are definitely not so little anymore Maya" she whispered to herself.