49: GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD (JASON)

VIDEO above - GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD - Elton John/Obsession dance mix
**

More adventure for Jason on the road back home ...

I jogged down the long access road to route 23. Here it was a four lane divided highway with a wide grass strip median, same as it was most of the way down to Kenton. There was little traffic at this time of night, just a few cars heading north into town. None were coming south going my way.

I started trudging along the paved shoulder feeling pretty good now that I was over my little episode of drama with the city skyline. It really was great to be alive and strong and moving, and I knew I could walk all the way back to Kenton if I had to.

There was a bright half moon and a billion twinkling stars up above as I walked past a big 24-hour gas station. It was wide open spaces here, the kind of big flat lands not seen much around Kenton, dotted here and there with motels and car dealers, big office complexes and party centers. I sucked in deep gulps of air and jabbed an emphatic fist out ahead, so happy I could breathe normally again.

The cars going north had whizzed by me. I turned to see if any were coming south yet and there were a flurry of headlights heading my way. Four vehicles. All right! One of them had to pick me up. Like, who wouldn't want to give me a ride?

Well, fuck me. Zip, zip, zip, zip ... they all flew by, not one of them even slowing down.

Jeez. Maybe I should flex a bicep or two?

"Come on, peeps. I gotta get home. What the hell?"

There obviously hadn't been girls in those cars, that's for sure. Or even gay dudes. They'd pick me up. Must've been old people, I was thinking, laughing out loud, or goths or punks or nerds – all afraid of the dangerous-looking jock on the side of the road.

I know, like really.

I couldn't stop laughing. I was so damn relieved to feel good again that I was in a totally silly mood. Either that or I'd gotten high in the Sonata from the girls' perfume, hairspray, and make-up. That could do it. I used to ask Jeannie to lay off all that stuff or else I'd be sneezing all night when I was with her and my eyes would water.

I arrived at a crossroads and jogged across to the next corner chuckling my girly giggle. Ha! Dudes smelled so much better, I was thinking, especially when they were all hot, horny, and sweaty.

There was a pull-off area here, surrounded by clumps of trees, and off it was a narrow road that led into a huge open-pit mining area that went on for acres and acres, looking like a lonely moonscape. I turned back around to check for cars again. One was heading toward me so I stuck my thumb out and started walking backward.

Then a sudden voice scared the crap out of me.

"Hey you! Whaddaya think you're doin'?"

"Aagghh!" I yelled, looking all around me.

I hadn't seen the motorcycle cop sitting on his bike up near the trees, watching.

"Goddamn. You scared the fuck out of me," I yelled at him.

"Where the hell you going? Don't you know hitchhiking is illegal on these roads?"

The car whizzed by me without even slowing down and I defiantly kept on walking backward. "Aw come on. I gotta get back down home to Kenton."

"Whoa! Hey, stop right there," the cop demanded, getting off the bike, and he started walking over to me.

As he came closer out of the shadows, I could see him better. Like wow. He was tall and big and beautifully built, ridiculously macho with a lumbering walk, a square jaw, a handsome face, and a neatly trimmed mustache. A total daddy to die for in a Columbus police uniform and cap. A holstered gun swagged on his hip and he wore a belt with about a dozen different crime fighting accessories attached to it.