You're Practically the Personification of Douchebag

Start from the beginning

"Ya, but it's Rhett Novel. He could have any girl in the school. Why pick her?"

Are they talking about who I think they're talking about?

"Kelsey said he invited her to Dylan's party on Saturday."

Yep. They are talking about me, literally right behind my back. Do they not know that I can hear them? Should I say something? No, I should just ignore them. Right?

"I heard she basically invited herself. She won't leave the poor guy alone. It's not that he likes her, he just feels sorry for her."

What? Ok. No. I stop in the middle of the hallway and whip around. The culprits are now staring up at me with wide eyes, having just narrowly avoided crashing into me. I recognize them as Nina Dane and Ashley Hale, two preppy sophomores who I often hear many stories about at the lunch table. I don't know how many of them are true, but none of them are good. According to Karen, they are "grade A bitches."

"Ok, A, I'm not obsessed with Rhett, B, mind your own freaking business, and C, when you're talking about someone right in front of you, lower your voice a little," I snap, before turning back around, not bothering to see their reaction.

I reach my classroom and let out a loud huff as I take my seat. I have never in all my four years of high school heard people gossiping about me. I'm boring. I'm under the radar. People aren't supposed to talk about me. This is all Rhett's fault. Before him, those girls could care less about what I did or who I talked to.

I walk around the rest of the day, paranoid that every little whisper I hear is about me. By the time I get to lunch I am about ready to scream.

I reach the cafeteria and spot Violet, already in her seat. Deciding not to worry about going through the lunch line right now I make my way over to her.

"You will not believe what happened earlier," I say.

"Wanna bet?" She asks, arching an eyebrow.

"What," I question. I had been expecting her usual, curious enthusiasm.

"It's all over the school," she says excitedly. "You totally told off Nina and Ashly. Oh my gosh, people love you."

"How the heck do people even know about that?" I groan. I hadn't thought that either of them would blab seeing as how our little encounter didn't exactly shine the best light on them.

"Megan saw the whole thing," explains Violet, looking like this is the best thing that's ever happened to her.

Really, Megan? You just couldn't keep your mouth shut. Could you?

"What's gotten into you lately?" She asks slyly. It isn't so much of a question as an attempt to get me to confess my love for Rhett.

Right after I had gotten back from the party I had called up Violet and told her everything, in true best friend fashion. Of course, she now believes that Rhett and I are "written in the stars." Barf.

"Nothing," I insist. "I'm the same as always."

"The Henley I know wouldn't be going to parties and telling off mouthy sophomores."

"The Henley you knew didn't have to worry about being bribed into going to parties or bashed by mouthy sophomores," I counter.

She thinks about this for a moment.

"Touché," she concedes. "Damn, Rhett should have transferred here a lot sooner."

I give her a death glare to which she just smiles sweetly in response.

"One year is going to be enough," I shake my head.

"I thought he was growing on you," she asks.

"Ya, he is," I admit. "But I still don't care for that stupid, cocky, flirty attitude of his. He thinks he's all that and then some."