Death in Her Hands - Chapter One: Ghostly Fairies

[The Elders]

They could see her clearly, the girl whom they have been searching for years. She just stood there in the middle of the havoc she had caused, casually studying her work of her - a deadly art.

The blood splattered in the shape of a perfect circle and the joints forming a spider-web shape in it. The birds that flew directly up ahead dropped down dead into the centre. A really fatal art...

The elders crept towards her, she turned around and vanished. Too late, the male elder thought, she disappeared.

"No she hasn't" the female elder said, reading his mind. It was her little guilty pleasure. Reading minds and witchcraft was part of her wild pasts. She tried to do good things and forget about her past, but nobody is exactly perfect.

"We need a trained hunter for this job," the male elder grumbled.

"No we can't..." the female elder was interrupted by the sound of singing, a child's voice.

The female elder put a finger to her lips. She signalled to the male elder to stay where he was and with that, she left and entered the woods.

The Weather Wood was no ordinary wood. The ground looked dry but was thick of sticky mud; the trees were too close together; the sun could hardly be seen; and every so often an animal would scurry past. But the female elder ignored everything unusual.

She kept on following the sound but it seemed to be playing with her. She turned left, but it sounded more to the right, then vice versa.

She soon felt dizzy, she turned around. Then she realised what happened. She looked down to see that she was in the middle of a spiral. The shape seemed to be formed out of white dust.

"You have joined us," many voices whispered simultaneously.

The female elder held in a scream as she saw all the ghostly figures. They definitely weren't the girl.

The ghostly figures were all identical, defining all the rules of science for there were more than 10 of them. They had pale white skin that was tattooed with black dust that formed a spider web design on their faces. They all wore a long dark purple dress that was tattered and ripped in numerous places.

The female elder was frozen in her place. No number of Hunters could help her out of her fate. Since she was a Sorcerer once herself, she easily recognised the legend.

When a woman or girl enters the woods 

The ghostly fairies will pull on their hoods 

Goodbye to those heroes who lost 

For entering the woods has a dangerous cost.

Those ghostly girls didn't exactly look like fairies. Especially if your stereotypical thoughts of fairies were pretty little girls waving glimmering wands to grant you a wish. Alas, you wouldn't be disappointed, but very scared indeed.

One of those girls took a step towards her. 'Up close', the female elder thought, 'she doesn't look like the others. She looks sad and not older than twelve...'

'No! I can't let myself fall for their foolish tricks', the Elder tried to not be fooled like the others before her.

The girl tilted her head to a side, "we are the people before you. Meet our Queen!"

As soon as she said the word 'Queen', the Elder's worst thoughts were confirmed. It was Bella Serpente. She was thought to be dead a many years ago.

"Hello, Miss Marie-Anne, it has been a long time since we have met. You remember me quite well don't you?" Bella chose her words carefully. Normally she would've angered the Elder more than she just did€ "Girls, talk to the woman for me."

The ghost/fairy girls took a step towards the female Elder.

"Marie-Anne you should join us, 

Join us and be free, 

Even if it means your death, 

You'd be with us and never flee," one of the girls sang, mocking her.

"Any questions?" Bella asked, putting her chin up in a superior gesture and ushering the others away.

"Is it I die or join you for eternity? Would I ever be able to leave the woods?" The female Elder's voice came out as a croak. So much for acting like she couldn't care less.

"You will never be able to leave the woods but you will join us for eternity. Either way, you are very unfortunate," Bella sneered cruelly.

The female Elder shook her head firmly. Living with the enemy for eternity is not exactly one's dream.

"Very well," Bella said, sounding bored. She took a step backwards as the ghost girls jumped towards Marie-Anne. They missed but she hit the floor. Silence then laughter.

The whole world blacked out.