Chapter Five

Double update cause your comments made me smile((:

Chapter Five

The final bell rings and with it I'm extremely excited to get home and away from all of these people. 

Without any hesitation, I head to my locker to put away the unnecessarily large textbooks. Grabbing my bag from my locker, I breathe out a sigh of relief as the halls drain of bodies. My throat had started to burn within the last hour and being around this many humans only made it worse. After closing my locker, I throw my hands into my pockets and feel the small piece of paper that Callie gave to me earlier in the day. I began to wonder when I would get a new phone so I'd be able to text her, but maybe mom would surprise me with it today since she was already going out to get a car for us.

As I approach the front entrance of the school and push through the glass doors, I begin to get a dark feeling crawling up my spine and causing goosebumps to rise through my limbs. 

Usually, I only get this feeling when mother is yelling at me for something I did, or when father was close but not close enough for me to sense.

My eyes scan the crowd then stop on the boy that I saw earlier this morning, the one who continued to walk when I tried to ask him where my locker was. He had dark brown hair and light brown eyes, his skin tan. He was very appealing to me, in the sense that maybe he was another Vampire.

Sadly, I don't live in a world where I can sense when another Vampire is around- nor could I smell them because they aren't wolves. But Vampires are usually all drop dead gorgeous. Vampires are practically perfect because well, we're dead... so we can't get any worse. This boy definitely fit the quota.

He was leaning against the metal railing as he spoke to his group of friends, but then suddenly stopped- scanning the crowd just as I was, until his eyes met my own. His lips pulled into a smirk as he spoke once again. Breaking the eye contact, I look to my shoes and continue walking toward the steps. 

That was a little weird.

With a deep inhale, I feel a little bit of the happiness I felt from this morning. The sun was a lot hotter than I'd been expecting, but I guess that was inevitable since we now reside in the desert. The view of the palm trees swaying in the wind made it all worth it, though. 

California is different than I imagined. I'm not use to the weather; I went from freezing cold to burning hot. Even though it wasn't as hot as most residents were used to, the way the sunlight felt on my skin was the equivalent of a thousand needles poking all over my skin.

The further I walked, the more I started to realize that I didn't recognize the path I'd been on. Then I remembered how I threw away the map that my mother had given me this morning.

I don't even know how to get home, damn it Snow. Did I have to throw away that useless map?

Before I'm able to even realize, I'm pulled out of my trance as I feel a cold hand wrap around my wrist, causing me to react out of reflexes- throwing the attacker over my shoulder and onto the concrete in front of me. I recognize the boy's face as the one who I'd just broken eye contact with while I was at school, making me instantly feel bad. 

"I'm so sorry!" I let go of his wrist, "Reflexes." 

He lets out a chuckle, standing to his feet and dusting himself off. 

"No problem, babe. It didn't hurt." He smirks. "So, I was right. You are a Vampire."

"What do you want?" I glared at him while taking a defensive stance, ready for anything he might throw at me.