Keep Your Friends Close

Start from the beginning

He catches on fast... I thought.

  Judy reeled. "Hold the phone, did you just say 'wolf?' There was a wolf?" she looked at me expectantly.

  I sighed, realizing that I now had to do more explaining. "Yes, there was a wolf. I know because it almost killed me last night- well, us, I mean."

Luke nodded as if to add testimony.

I continued. "We got away of course, but it ran off afterward, and now it's somewhere in the city."

  Judy seemed bewildered. "And... why exactly am I just now hearing about all of this? What exactly is going on?"

  "Luke, your turn," I needed his help.

  He looked a little flustered at my sudden passing of the exposition hot potato. "Uh... yeah. So, Judy. Let me ask you something. Have you ever seen anything like me before?"

  "Not in particular, no," she replied.

  "Well, that's because I'm not from here. Somehow, I ended up in this strange city, and these animals you're chasing after? They got thrown into this mess, same as me. They were never like either of you."

  Luke continued telling her just about everything he had told me.

I watched carefully, my eyes switching between them periodically as a multitude of expressions passed over Judy's face.

Eventually, he reached the present. "...after we got away, I explained to Nick everything I just explained to you, and that's it. I'm not sure how or why I got here, so I plan on looking for some answers as to how I might get back to my own universe," he finished.

Judy looked like she might just fall over. "A parallel... universe? How does that make any sense?"

  Luke shrugged his shoulders. "I dunno, but until I can figure out a way to get back, I'm stuck here, and so are those animals. For all we know, there could be more of them, and unless we can send them to where they came from, they have to die."

  "Die? Why?" Judy didn't fully understand yet, nor did I, as his absolute seemed a bit extreme.

  Luke's face became very serious. "Because they have to eat something, and they're going to, one way or another. These are predators we're talking about. Fruits and veggies don't exactly fit into their diet. The longer we wait, the greater the chaos is going to be. You've already seen what these attacks look like. There's going to be more of them, and they're only going to get worse from here on out."

  She put a paw on her forehead. "You're sure they can't be saved?"

  "Unless we can find a way back to my world," Luke reminded her.

  "And how exactly are we supposed to do that?" she asked.

  Luke's eyes broke contact with hers. "That's the problem. I don't know."

  Judy seemed a little frustrated, but she shrugged it off. "Fine. We'll worry about that later, but there's more concerning the bear attack last night."

  "Right, you said that he had been taken by somebody, just like Manchas and the rest of them, but how do you know that?" I asked.

  "Because of eyewitness accounts. On top of that, I did some searching after we were done, and I was able to find out not only who took him, but where they took him as well," she stated smugly.

  "Jam cams?" I smirked.

  "Jam cams."

  I put my paws in my pockets. "Ah, the tried-and-true winning strategy. So who is it?"