The Necklace

Marinette sat on her bed, staring at the necklace and thinking. She'd only just gotten ready and now realizes she has to face another day at school, but this time without Alya by her side.

Marinette expressed her worries about Alya to her parents at breakfast, leaving out the whole reason why Alya ran away, obviously, and after a quick phone call, learned that she was safe and at home. She didn't want to speak to anyone at the moment according to what her parents said, but Marinette suspected it was only a certain person she didn't want to talk to. Alya's parents thanked the Dupain-Chengs for their concern and hung up soon after so they could head to work.

Marinette heard her alarm ring and was woken up from her thoughts of earlier that morning. She knew she had to go to school, but she'd be going alone. Her parents had told her earlier she could stay home and visit Alya if she wanted, but she knew that wouldn't end well.

She sighed, pulling her hair into the usual ponytails and slipped her backpack over one shoulder. She set the necklace down on her dresser and turned to leave, but walks back to grab the necklace again. She picks it up, clasps it in the back and puts the jeweled ladybug under her shirt.

What's the use if I never wear it? She thinks as she finally makes her way to school.

She arrived the same time the first bell rung, but it seemed like it was way off in the distance, almost like she was underwater. She stared at the floor and dropped her backpack down beside her desk, fighting the urge to just slump down in her chair and sleep.

She folded her arms in front of her and stared at the desk, still thinking about this morning. After finding a small chip in the paint, she sets her eyes on that and imagines different little shapes inside of it. She doesn't move until she feels a slight pressure on her left forearm.

"Hey, Marinette. Roll Call." It was Nino, trying to get her attention for the third time.

"Oh... Here," she said quietly. Mrs. Bustier huffed and blackened out a mark on her clipboard, locking eyes with the tired girl.

"I'd appreciate it if you'd answer me the first time, Marinette," the teacher said in a kind voice, contrasting with the words she uttered. She'd seen how "off" Marinette was today and cut her a little slack. Marinette nodded her head and returned to staring at her desk.

Soon enough, Mrs. Bustier asked everyone to choose a partner for the next project. Marinette bit her lip and continued to stare at her desk, pushing away any dangerous emotions.

This day just can't get any worse, can it? First Alya is gone and now we have to choose partners for some dumb project. How am I even going to focus on anything?

"Hey, um, Marinette," a voice asked from the desk in front of her, interrupting her spiraling thoughts.

"Yeah?" She responded, still unable to take her eyes off of the small chip in the paint.

"Do you want to be partners?" asked the voice again.

Marinette blinked in surprise, recognizing the voice and finding herself staring into Adrien's green eyes when she finally looked up.

"Uh, yeah. Sure," she said, fumbling over her words like always. He looked a little confused but gave her a slight smile before standing and grabbing his bag. He walked out from behind his desk and moved to sit next to Marinette.

She quickly kicked her bag out of the way and put her hands in her lap, finding the chip in the paint on her desk very interesting again.

"Dude," Nino said from the row ahead of them with a meaningful glance at Adrien. Adrien shrugged in response.