A Gift

Chat Noir jumped from rooftop to rooftop, the moon light reflecting off his black leather suit. He headed toward the bakery, occasionally elongating his baton to push off the ground. With the bakery's roof in sight, he made one final leap, flying through the air and landing softly on the rooftop.

What do you think of that, my lady?

He smirked and strutted triumphantly over to Marinette's door, knocking softly.

Marinette shifted in her sleep, as she was pulled from a dream by the knocking. She slowly raised her head off the desk and looked around, confused as to why she wasn't in bed. She looked down at the unfinished math homework that she had been sleeping on and sighed. 

She then stood up and walked towards the door as the soft, repetitive knocks continued. 

"Who's there?" she asked sleepily, yawning soon afterward.

"None other than Chat Noir, princess," Chat responded from the other side of the door. "Open up."

Marinette rolled her eyes. What does he think he's doing, bothering me at this hour?

Now fully awake, she walked towards the stairs and opened the door. Chat stood at the entrance, smiling and twirling his staff like a baton. He winked and jumped down from the top of the stairs into the middle of Marinette's room.

She smiled back at him, internally gagging.

"What could The Chat Noir possibly need from me?" she asked, trying to sound excited about this.
More like, "Why'd you wake me up in the middle of the night, idiot?"

"You see," Chat started, strutting around her room, "I've heard from everyone I know that you are an exceptionally good clothing designer, and I need a present for my lady."

While he had his back turned to look around the room, Marinette remembered all of Adrien's posters that decorated the walls. Chat had seemed a bit distracted, and the darkness had pretty much hidden all of them, though she wondered about his night vision. "And who have you heard that from?" asked Marinette, mentally breathing a sigh of relief as he turned away from them.

"That, Princess, is a secret I'm afraid. I can't just give away my secret identity that easily, can I?" He stopped walking and turned to Marinette, running a hand through his hair. "Ladybug and I are very close, you know, and our birthday is coming up soon." He examined a claw.

Marinette tried to hold in her laughter. 

"Oh really? That is exciting, but how is it that you two have the same birthday?" she asked, wondering what he was thinking.

He smiled and said smugly, "Well it's not technically our birthday, just the day we both became superheroes."

Marinette gasped. "Oh yeah."

"What do you mean, 'Oh yeah'?" he asked, tilting his head to the side.

Marinette fidgeted for a few seconds before quickly answering.

"Well my friend runs the Ladyblog, so I should have known that. She's probably really excited." She laughed nervously.

"Of course." Chat smiled. "So, princess, do you think you could lend me a paw with this?"

"I'd be honored," she said, giggling to herself, looking down so he wouldn't see her 'ugh' face. "What do you think she'd like?"

Chat thought for a minute, obviously stumped. He smiled sheepishly. "Well... You see, Marinette... I don't exactly know her well enough to get her anything... personal." He scratched the back of his head, pulling on an ear. 

"Oh, and I thought you two were close," Marinette said, faking confusion as she tried to tame the fit of giggles threatening to escape.

"We are, we are," he reassured her. "It's just..." He thought for a minute, then, gaining confidence, said, "It is the duty of superheroes to protect our identities, so we respect that and only meet in costume."

Marinette nodded thoughtfully. "Oh, of course. How noble of you." 

"Anything for her." He winked at Marinette. 

"Hmmm," Marinette started, chewing on her lip in thought. "Well how about you and I think on this for a while, and maybe I'll look through the Ladyblog to see if Alya has posted anything to give us a clue as to what she might want."

"Of course. That's a great idea, princess." He kneeled down to kiss her hand and she grimaced. She quickly found a need to pick her history book off the floor to avoid it. 

Chat looked confused at the familiar move but then brushed it aside.

"Alright, I'm trusting you with this now, so do your best for me." He patted her head and suddenly sobered, his face taking on a serious expression. 

"I just," he started, sounding a little defeated. "I just really want to impress her, you know?" He looked up at her, his bright green eyes locking with hers.

Marinette felt kind of guilty for being a little rude about all this, especially when seeing him acting so unsure, and quickly said, "Hey, don't worry Chat. I'm sure you'll make her happy no matter what you get her." Then she smiled up at him.

Chat stared, wide-eyed, as heat quickly rose to his face. "Yeah. Uh--" he backed up, surprised, and tripped over her chair. He caught himself quickly, though, and walked over to the stairs, not able to look directly at Marinette. 

"Thanks a lot, but I have to g-go now," he said, a bit flustered. "I'll catch you later, Marinette." Then he ran up onto the roof. His burning cheeks were cooled by the night air as he jumped off of the bakery and onto the next building.

I could swear she smiles just like Ladybug... I wonder if they're related. No, surely not.
He quickly dismissed her smile as he started thinking of what kind of gift Ladybug might like. She wouldn't like me figuring out her identity anyways, he thought, vaulting off another roof and flying through the air to the next.

He makes it back home and into his room just before he de-transforms.

Plagg shot out of his ring and directly toward Adrien's dresser, where fresh Camembert awaited him. Adrien idly wondered when Nathalie would ask him about his sudden cheese obsession, and got ready for bed.

-

Marinette stood in confusion for a moment after he exited her room, wondering about his sudden change in attitude, but took it as Chat just being his weird self. 

Now, what do I want for my 'birthday'? She wondered, pacing around her room a little. She locked eyes with one of her posters of Adrien and blushed. Only if Chat could bring me him, she thought wistfully, then blushed even harder, embarrassed of her own thoughts.

Then her eyes widened as she suddenly realized she had to get Chat something as well. How could she forget such an important thing?

What does he even like?

She quickly sat down at her desk and started a rough sketch of a few items she might make for him, but crumpled them all up to throw away. After the fifth drawing, she gave up, laying her head on her arms in frustration.

Ugh. Why does this have to be so difficult? She wonders. If anyone, I should know what to get him.
Her thoughts continued on like this until she drifted off and fell back to sleep on her desk, her unfinished math homework becoming even more crinkled beneath her.

A/N
     Sorry if this was a little short or anything... Please give me suggestions or help fix grammar mistakes and such! I'll probably just be writing at least one chapter a week, but depending on how stressful the week is, I'll probably write more! (Kinda the first time I've written a story on Wattpad... Not my first story entirely, but if I do something wrong tell me please xD)

P.S. If you read this I love you and please stick with my story! Have faith in my mediocre writing! :P

P.P.S. None of my other authors notes will be this long or annoying I'm sure, but yeah, I hope you like it!