"Golden girl, you made it." He says, looking down at me.
I start to push my board away from his, afraid of what my conversation with him might turn into. I need to remember how egotistical this guy is, not to mention how he is known for being a player- a huge one. One that I should stay away from. "Whoa whoa," he says, grabbing my hand, in effort to pull my board back over... I sharply inhale at his touch, it immediately makes me feel completely breathless, out of mind out of body. I look down at his hand, which now has let go of mine, then up at his face. He laughed a little, showing his bright smile illuminated by the moon- which also had illuminated his glistening abs, wet from the ocean. His light brown hair was the perfect kind of messy, and his deep chocolate brown eyes were already putting me in a trance.

"N-Nate."

"Yes?"

"I'm not going to fall into your stupid little game."

"What game?"

"What you're doing right now!"

"I don't know what you're talking about." He says, brushing a strand of my hair out of my face. I slap the hand.

"THAT! That right there!"

"What, I'm just being friendly."

"Hm."

"Savannah, clearly you're misinterpreting my actions" he says, wiggling his eyebrows

"Clearly..." I say rolling my eyes at him as I lean back on my board. He does the same, leaning back on his and looking up to the sky.

All of a sudden a ton of water splashes my face, the saltiness invading my mouth and nose. I cough loudly, sitting up abruptly and see Nate's smug grin. "Watch out! You might fall!" He says, continuing to laugh.

"You splashed me! I didn't fall!"

"Oh I'm sure you tilted a little on your own, nearly falling, which made the water just roll right over you."

"Shutup I'm not falling for your crap."

"But as much crap as you think I am, you are falling for me."

My eyes widen and I open my mouth to speak when he interrupts me.
"Cmon I wanna show you something."

~~~~~~~

"Nate I don't know if this is such a good idea..."

Nate and I now stand at the top of a 50 foot tall mountain rock that lies above the ocean. We had surfed over here, guided merely by the moonlight and Nate's sense of direction... He's actually pretty knowledgeable about finding his way around the island. The whole time over we talked about surfing, and it didn't seem like he was trying so hard to be him weird, flirty, player self... He seemed so passionate, honest, and at peace.

Now we stand here, above the ocean, together, and I'm scared for my life.

"This is my favorite spot." He says, looking out at the waves, a faint smile on his face.

"It's beautiful."

"You think so?"

"It's also terrifying." I say, taking a deep breath.

He looks over at me, laughing with a big smile. "The fearless surfer Savannah is actually afraid of something??"

I laugh and look down at my small feet, wiggling my toes. "Shut up. We're really high up right now! I just- it freaks me out..."

Suddenly he reaches over and intertwines his hand with mine. All of a sudden a warmth flows through my arm and to my body, I'm instantly comforted, set at ease, and for the first time with him I feel- safe, not alienated.