Chapter 8: The Ditch

[ARAINA]

Chapter 8: The Ditch

Beep Beep. A familiar sound alerted me about a new text message I had gotten. 

The text read; 

Sorry. I don’t think I can make it today. Family Emergency

There was only one person that could have sent this, and fit the whole situation. It was Chase. ‘He said he had a family emergency’, I tried to assure myself, but the feeling that our friendship was not mutual, was inevitable. A strange wave of anxiety and nervousness rushed over me, as I began walking back home. My attempts at trying to erase of hurtful word of “ditch” did not prevail. 

When I got home, I plopped onto my bed, pulling my hair back and kicking my heels off. Staring back at the blank ceiling of my room, I couldn’t help but think of Chase. His deep brown eyes that shone like a sparkling star, not to mention his hair. It was cliche, but it was true. 

I wanted to convince myself so bad that it was merely a natural phase to want something unavailable. As if there was some unwanted disease in my head, I rapidly shook it, getting rid of gorgeous image. He now belonged to Kara Adams, the typical popular girl that seemed to lead the perfect life. 

My vibrating phone went off, as the screen flashed a calming name. 

“Bonjour mademoiselle.” I joked around.

“Araina, this is an emergency.” Charlotte’s voice was full of worry and bad news.

I sat up straight, wondering what could have possibly gone wrong on her perfect Sunday. I didn’t answer, waiting for her to continue.

“I was out with Mike at this restaurant, and guess who I saw.”

She was obviously not in the mood for a guessing game, so I let her finish.

“Kara Adams. That’s not the only thing that’s an emergency. I saw her with Chase. YOUR Chase. They were like, hugging, and ugh. It almost made me puke my dinner, which would NOT have been pleasant. And don’t get me started on her parents with his parents. They looked pretty serious. That bitch is up to something.” She talked a mile a minute about something I already knew.

“Char. It’s old news. He’s getting married.” 

“You’re freaking joking me here. What the hell was that day at the tango place then? You know what, we need to go to him tomorrow and teach him a less-”

I laughed. “You’re taking it way to seriously Charie Char Char. It’s already settled. We’re friends now, and that was just.... nothing.” 

Charlotte obviously refused to believe my word until I told her about today’s ditch. That’s when her beautiful mouth was wasted with a truckload of unpleasant words. She finally calmed down and hung up, leaving me idiotically laughing over the priceless expression Char’s face must have worn when she witnessed the scene.

I don’t know when, and I don’t know how, but along with the laughter, I slipped into a deep, peaceful sleep. 

A/N: I'm really really sorry about the long pause. I think I finally figured out how I want the story to go :) sorry for the choppy plot line right now, but it's all building up to something bigger.. thnx so much for sticking with me and i'll see you guys in a couple more days, since WINTER BREAK HAS OFFICIALLY BEGUNNN