of fathers and sons

"Ah, Prince Louis"

He gives an exaggerated bow before saying "the duchess Camille, i apologise for visiting unannounced but I would be glad if you could accommodate me as well as tell me the name of the goddess who has caught my attention" he finishes with a sickening smile.

I roll my eyes and sigh. Only the lord can save me from hormonal teenage aristocratic boys. He was just another one of them. Full of pride and thought that they somehow deserved the world because they were royalty.

Another Brian McKinley.

I would have walked out if mother wasn't here so instead I curtsied.

"Oh, the lady Marybelle" my mother's voice floated into my ears which earned her a 'hummp' as a response and a more bizarre look from Prince asshat over there she continues " Prince Francis betrothed"

"Oh, so my cousin has a wife? One would not.... Anyway it's a pleasure to meet you moi cheri ." He says. I shudder once more but the unfinished sentence caught my attention and although I was calm now I knew my thoughts would run wild when I was alone. He seems to not take notice of my stiff posture and takes my not extended hand and placed a chaste kiss on my knuckles. I moved back and glanced at my mama for help.

"Mary, you are dismissed." I cutesy again and walk briskly out of the drawing room and into the hall where Alex is willing to take me into his arms.

The next weeks passed without any mishaps for my mother of course. The seamstress arrived on time and cook had hired more hands to help. As for prince asshat, I had grown accustomed to his presence. We talk over dinner and lunch, he even tagged along to my lessons.

He was a year older, and his Spanish side was more prominent in his features. He moved with grace and a poise only a man in his element would when we practiced with swords. He was great with the twins -Christopher and Gerald. And Alex hated him.

He was smart, and seemed genuinely interested in France. My mind drifted to why he couldn't be crown prince. His mother was Spanish but the Spanish and French had an alliance, in fact a him becoming king would work in our favour.

Curiosity got the best of me and when Louis refused to indulge me I moved to the one person lenient enough to tell me anything and was at liberty to.

Uncle Henri.

He had arrived a week after Louis and the way he acted around the prince showed love and pride. Louis was also fond of him and the two often ganged up against me during practice.

Sneaking into the study, I located my uncle bent over some parchment and his expression serious. I stilled, the parchment were familiar, I often did political work with papa and although mama hated it - something about politics being too dirty for a lady- papa had always brushed it off. He claimed that a queen was suppose to be involved in politics if she was ever going to be fit to rule.

I coughed to attract his attention and his gaze snapped to my direction and he beckoned me to join him. I sat on the sofa and we both fell into comfortable silence.

" Mary, tell me, what would you do about Michael and Damian?"

"What did they do this time? Are they not tired of their fake feud?"

"Fake feud?"

"Yes, fake. I find it hard to believe that two men who grew up together will somehow develop hatred for one another when they joined your council."

"You think so?"

"I know so. Besides, I have being following their disputes and their argument have been directed towards the greater good of the other. Like the dam project."

"Uhm, now that I think about it. So, aren't you smart."

"I am, aren't I? I have been em meaning to ask you. Its about em Louis" I easy into the mean reason I am here throwing in an innocent expression.

"I knew you would ask. I am just shocked Benoit and his big mouth hasn't told you."

"I didn't ask him."

"He is not my child."

"Oh.....that's why Francis is the next.."

"In line. Correct. I love Louis but a Spaniard cannot be the king of France."

"Does he know?" I ask in a whisper. My heart tightened for the lovely child knowing just how hurt he would feel.