Of proposals and agreements

As I sit, I realise how hungry I was seeing as I missed luncheon while I cried in The maze. I reached for my spoon when the horn was honked again to announce another royal presence.

"The Prince, Duke of Alençon, his royal Highness Benoit Adalard the 3rd and the duchess Camille Adalard and entourage" the guard from earlier announces and the man with the funny moustache and the woman with the honey eyes come into view wearing a different outfit instead of the simple day dress and suit as before. Now the Lady who is the duchess Camille is wearing a cream dress with stones to mimic raindrops. It was so beautiful and even a blind man could see the affluence this family held

 It was so beautiful and even a blind man could see the affluence this family held

.

We all stood up again except the king and Queen of course, to welcome them. After they sat, the dinner commenced and conversation could be heard around the table.

They are sitting closer to the king and I think she was yet to see me so I bendt my head and ate my food quietly so I didn't draw attention to my self.

"Why are u hiding?" Gideon asks. I turn to look at him he is wearing black a colour of mourning like most people and his hair is simply combed back but is still messy.
"nothing Gideon. You are full of questions today aren't you?" I reply with a glare to which the prince laughs. So I turn to him instead "why are you laughing? Does something amuse you?-turning back to finish my food I see Gideon's head down so I sigh and decide to humor him this once
"How was weapon practice today Gideon?" I quickly say and I notice his smile which tells me he kicked Fred's butt today and grin along with him.
"It was so good, you should have been there. I finished Fred in archery and horse riding" he states proudly.
From my left Fred scoffs and folds his hands. I look at him as if daring him to say anything but he meets my gaze and slowly says "while Gideon good for you. If the king is stronger than his protector then why would a king be in need of one" rather smugly, feeling good about him self when I decide its time to shut it down.
"He is not your protector dumb dumb, he is going to be your advisor so I suggest you treat him with care because I know you can't run even a pretend castle of your own". I sneer at him. Turning around to put my hands on top of Gideon's as support and squeeze.

Digging into my chicken and asparagus vol-lu-vent, a French dish, curtsey of cook trying to impress the French aristocrat I let the taste explode in my mouth but all too soon it is taken away like always when I eat in the table because the king is finished. I glare at the footman who just chuckles before winking and serving me my next dish.

" Gideon!"I call. He is quick to answer, turning to face me with a smile on his face so I continue. "Oh do tell me, why are they here and who are they?"
"Papa says that they are on the request of the dowager Margret. She sent them a message to come and take something before she passed." My mouth form an O shape and I resume eating.

Dinner consists of Gideon and Fred's playful banter and I dont mind but all that is destroyed by a certain presence who makes her self known by commenting on my eating habit.

"Oh do look at her. Once a street rat always a street rat" Sally mutter rather loudly to Hannah. You see in the castle they is only a hand full if children. We play together and eat together but we dont always get along.

Sally and Hannah are cousins. Sally's mother is a baroness who is a lady in waiting to the queen so as a result she feels like she will be queen someday. As if. In other words my arch nemesis.

She doesn't like me and I her but for an unknown reason she is currently glaring at my hand on Gideon's palm so.. I milk it. Twisting my body towards him I squeeze his hand again and say "Sally is making fun of me Gideon" he is quick to snap at her and if she practices what she preaches she would retreat knowing he is of higher station.

While Gideon is nice and caring I know for sure he can be intimidating. Being three years older than sally and I he commands authority. He is also bigger and stronger than most boys in the castle and wealthier.

He is the son of the Duke of Kent and the Prince's right hand man as well as fourth in line for the throne or second if you do not count run away prince Joseph. He is also the smartest but he has savior syndrome.

No matter who you are he is willing to help. More so me than others but he helps everyone. Sally is always trying to catch his attention and I can even think of something she had done that had only backfired.

Once we went on a picnic by the lake and while he carried me when my feet got stuck in the mud Sally tried to get him but she ended up with a wet dress a cold and a whole lot of laughter from me. Good times.

Anita says she likes him but I'm not so sure but for a girl who spends all her time playing queen she should be falling for Fred not Gideon.

*****

Desert is yet to be served when the duke Benoit and his wife take their leave. The rest of dinner is uneventful but my breath is caught when a note with a Alençon seal is given to me when I retire.