Part 4

I hear a knock on the door. "Nicole, open the door." My mom says. "Nicole?" She repeats. I ignore her covering myself with my blanket.

After a few seconds I hear her walk away. I glance at my clock which reads 11:00 p.m. Ever since I got up from the table I haven't been downstairs. Brie tried to get me to go down but I didn't open up.

An hour goes by and I finally get up. Slowly, I open up my door looking to see if anyone is around. My stomach is growling uncontrollably because I didn't finish eating dinner.

I tiptoe downstairs into the kitchen. Then I open the fridge and take out a gallon of milk and pour some into a cup. I'm enjoying my milk so much that I don't hear Seth coming behind me.

"Can't sleep?" He says behind me. I jump up from the stool startled and nearly knock down my glass. I almost fall but he catches me.  His face is inches away from mine and I am breathing fast.

"Sorry." He whispers. I gulp down and pull away immediately. I grab my cup and start walking away. "Nicole-" I cut him off, "Nikki."
I correct him.

"Alright, Nikki, I just wanted to ask if you were okay." He says, I can see his face from the light of the clock reflecting on him. "Why do you care?" I answer bluntly.

He shrugs with a small sigh, "Because you're my sister." He answers, I laugh, "You and I aren't related. Just because my mom and your dad got married does not mean we have to pretend we like each other. You know I can't stand you, so stay out of my life." I walk away to my room and don't look back at him.

<<••>>

"Aren't you excited that Seth is going to watch you play soccer?" My mom says as we get to the field. I shrug my shoulders, I wish he weren't here.

"Come on, Nikki, Seth is being nice and trying to get along with you." She says putting her arm around me. "Mom, I don't care. I don't need him to be nice to me." I pull away from her and I hear Brie say, "She'll get over it."

I walk over to my team who is warming up. Brie and I used to play soccer together but Brie quit a few months ago. She said she didn't want to continue playing it. I'm very passionate about soccer and I'm trying to get a scholarship so I can go to college and enjoy what I'm doing.

As I'm warming up I recognize Seth in the audience. He's sitting beside Brie and Brandon and in front of them is mom and Alex.

Seth grins and waves at me but  I turn around instead and keep warming up. "This is it girls, it's a big game. Do your best." Our coach says as we start spreading in the field.

Once the game starts I get right to it. Soccer is my passion, soccer is my life. As I'm running to a member of the opposite team I run into a player and she accidentally kicks my shin.

I fall wrong on my leg and instantaneously feel a sharp pain shot through me. I'm on the ground and I'm feeling the pain rush brought my whole body.

I start screaming and the referee blows his whistle. He runs to me and asks me if I'm okay but all I can do is scream in pain.

The medical team runs to me and they help me up as the tears are streaming down my face. I see in the bleachers that my mom and Brie are standing up looking at me.

<<••>>

"Nikki, don't worry. I'm sure with lots of help you'll be able to play again." Brie says as she sits on the bed.

I'm laying in a hospital bed bawling my eyes out because my leg is shattered. The doctor said he didn't think I could play soccer again because my injury was dangerous.

"Did you not here what he said Brianna?! My leg is broken! I can't play anymore! Soccer is my life and I can't imagine never playing it again!" I scream covering my eyes. "Oh, Nikki, please don't cry honey." My mom says rubbing my shoulder.

I keep crying and ignore their comments. "Just leave. Please. I want to be alone." I say in between sobs. My mom and Brie look at me sadly but get out of the room.

I lay my head back and keep thinking of what I'm going to do with my life now. My plan was to get a scholarship and play professional soccer but now that's not an option anymore.

My head is begging to ache and my leg is hurting terribly. I squeeze my eyes shut and try to stop thinking about it too much but it's impossible.

The door opens, "Didn't I tell you-" when I open my eyes and see Seth standing there I wipe my tears. "Get out." I say coldly.

"Can I talk to you?" He asks as he steps in. "No. Get out!" I scream furiously. "I just need to talk to you." He steps closer and sits on the bed beside me.

"No! Get out!" My voice has gotten louder and I'm about to press the button so I can call the nurse but he grabs my hand and stops me.

I quickly pull away and cross my arms over my chest. "I know you're upset." He says, "Well no shit Seth." I say in a sarcastic tone.

"I don't want you to be upset." He says, I laugh with tears in my eyes, "How can I not be upset? For Gods sake, my leg is destroyed and I can never play soccer again."

The tears fall from my eyes and I can't help to cry again because I'm both angry and sad. He gently reaches and wipes my tears. I move my face because he's being too nice.

"Don't- don't cry,Nikki. I know soccer is your passion but you can find another passion." He says in an encouraging voice. "Like what huh?" I say feeling my tears dry against my cheek.

"Like wrestling." He says. I give him a look and chuckle, "Wrestling? Yeah, right." Wrestling is not my thing. I have never even seen wrestling. I don't know anything about it.

"I'm serious. There's WWE Diva castings, I'm sure your sister and you could try out. WWE would love twins." He says, "No way. I don't ever see myself wrestling and I'm sure neither can Brie."

"Well you can always try." He says giving me a small smile. "No." I say with a frown. His smile disappears, "I was just trying to make you feel better and give you some ideas." He says.

"Yeah well you didn't make me feel better and your stupid ideas are useless." I say blankly, I see hurt in his eyes and he looks down at his lap.

"I'm sorry." He whispers, "Just get out or I'll call the nurse to kick you out." I say. He gets up from the bed, "I'll leave you alone now. I hope you feel better Nicole, I won't be able to see you again because I leave tonight."

He's giving me explanations like I care that he's leaving. I don't. He stands there a few seconds like he's waiting for me to say something but I don't.

He then walks out the room and I take a deep breath and lay on my bed feeling empty and dead inside.