Malia

It's weird. Missing someone. I don't miss people. But I miss her and it's new for me.
I miss her laugh and her cute smile. I miss her eyes and her nose. I miss her so much.
I just need to see her.
So that's what I did.

Hannah's dad answered the door when I knocked.
"Hi," I said. "I'm looking for Hannah, is she here?"
"Are you Malia by any chance?" 
I nodded. He knew me?
"Come inside," he said. "Hannah's not here."
I obliged, stepping inside.
"Follow me." His eyes were full of sorrow and there were bags under his eyes, his nose was raw and pink. Had he been crying? 
I followed her dad upstairs and into what I assumed was Hannah's bedroom. He led me to her desk, and picked up a piece of paper along with a collection of papers held together with a paper clip.
"You'll want to read these," he told me, handing me the papers. "I'll leave you alone for a bit."
I was confused. Where is Hannah?

Her dad left the room and I read the loose sheet of paper first.

Dear Father and Josh,

As you know, I am a lesbian. And I'm in love with a beautiful, extraordinary girl named Malia. She makes me happier than I ever imagined I could be. But that happiness is gone. With Mom in the hospital, it's as if every problem in the world is on my shoulders and crushing me slowly. It puts so much stress and intensity on me and my life.
I'm so sorry that you have to come home to this. I love you both so deeply and I appreciate all you've done for me.
Thank you.
Goodbye.

Truly,
Hannah

PS Please, give these to Parker so he can pass them along to Malia. I want her to see them. I want her to finally read them. 

Tears were streaming down my face. This can't be happening. This is a dream. A nightmare. It's not real. She can't be gone. No.

I unclipped the papers and flipped through them. Are these letters? I flipped back to the first page and began reading.

dear malia,

if i'm going to be honest, i've liked you for a long time. but you wouldn't know that, would you?

I kept reading. Each letter was something else, a new day, but almost every single one involved me. The way she described me warmed my heart, a feeling I couldn't even begin to explain. I couldn't believe how deeply and widely this girl loved me.
And I couldn't believe that I never told her I loved her too.