Chapter 5 - Blue Eyes

Start from the beginning

The walk to my room with the disgusting clothes in my hands seemed like forever and putting on some clean clothes seemed like even more time. I hid the clothes in a corner of my closet. When I finished everything, I walked with a ghost movement to my bed still crying slow silent tears and fell asleep in the dim room. Even though it was morning time, my exhaustion was taking over me, thankfully.

***

Everything was dark. An endless opal black abyss and I was confused.

Why is it so black? Moments ago I was in the dim lit room but now I had gone somewhere else?

Where was I? This place hurt, it was painful and I didn’t know why.

How could the dark make me feel so small, so confused and weak?

Ow! The pain was so familiar- OW! OW! OW! NO! STOP! PLEASE! OW! Not again! OW! The pain was the excruciating and so familiar. I had known and felt this pain and it was my biggest fear.

Get me out of here! I could feel things leave my mouth, escape my lips in a hurry and they hurt my ears. Wasn’t I asleep? How is this so vivid? Ouch! No! Stop! Ow! PLEASE!

I felt like I was moving, being rocked forcefully back and fourth. What is this?

Eyes.

Blue eyes.

Not just any eyes.

His eyes.

Ow! No! Stop! Please!

***

Sweat was poring down my body and the tears and sobs escaped me like a cascade. I was screaming so loud my throat was throbbing. I sat upright in my bed in someone’s arms. Who’s? Oh no!

“Leave me alone, go away, not again!” I was screaming so loud it hurt my ears. No God please no. Not again!

“Honey, honey, shh. What’s wrong?” My mother’s calming voice soothed me and the tears decreased so I could see her face. Warm hazel eyes stared at me scared and worried, they weren’t blue. 

Oh no, I did it. My mom would be worried now and make me tell her.

“Nothing, it was just a bad dream.” I replied, hoping she wouldn’t notice the evident lie.

“Dear you haven’t had a nightmare like this since- since-” 

She still couldn’t talk about it, it was as hard on her as it was on me. It had been two years but suddenly I remembered those nights. The nights that cancer would invade my dreams. When I dreamed every night of my dad’s life slipping through my fingers when he lay in the hospital, so close to dead. When I would hear every night my dad’s voice call out my name. “Evelyn, let’s go for ice cream.” “Evelyn, look at this new puppy.” “What will you name her?” “How was school?” “Hurray Evelyn got an A+!” “I love you.” His voice would resound in my mind every night in the same dream and every night I would cry, kick, scream, sob, I would always see his face. It only stopped when my mom told me he was in a better place with no pain but selfish as I was I wanted him here with me. The screams lasted a month and nine-teen days in counting. I was closer to my dad than anyone or anything in life and my mom loved him as much as any wife could love a husband. They were soul mates.  

“It’s fine.”

“No it’s not. Last time you screamed and cried like this was when your father, um, passed away and this has to be serious Evelyn. Tell me, you know you can tell me anything Ev, please.” 

“I’m scared to tell you.” I told her in a small voice trembling. I was so scared to tell her and I didn’t want to. I didn’t know how she would take it and I didn’t want to find out. Did she have to know? There would never be something evident. But she would need to know.