012

From: ELO135@yahooh.com

Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2014, 12:47PM

To: MaR1989@hotmails.de

Subject: RE: no subject

I hope you will do well today, Marco! I'll be cheering for you from the sidelines – sort of – and I'll come to Brazil with you, if you want me to.

---

ELOISE

By the time I probably wake up, it's close to 10 AM. I am still tired and when I open my eyes and see Marco still lightly asleep next to me, it cheers me up. His hair is so messy, but it looks really adorable. Today is the day of the important game. I would obviously cheer for Marco, because he'd be playing the entire game, hopefully.

By the time, Marco woke up, things moved along quickly. We got ready and dressed. I showered too and Marco packed his stuff that he had to bring to the game. We got ourselves some breakfast in the hotel and soon we'd be making our way to the stadium for the game, that wouldn't start any time soon. But apparently there was a lot to arrange beforehand, that I wouldn't understand at all. While waiting, I took my sweet time to make a phone call to Rosalie, who had been waiting for my call.

"Rosalie speaking," I hear at the other end of the line.

"It's me, Eloise," I say, feeling weird to speak French again.

"Oh there you are, how are you? I thought about you, and now that you're in Germany, I'm so surprised, why would you do something like that so suddenly." I hear her ranting about all kinds of stuff. We only briefly talked in the last few days and exchanged some messages, and talked on the phone for a few minutes, but Rosalie is only noting now that I'm seriously in Germany now, and not in France anymore. I continue to let her rant on and on and on, and I glare at Marco, who's now on the field, plus another team, checking everything out. Someone blasts something through the microphone.

"Where are you?" Rosalie asks me.

"I'm at this game between Germany and Armenia, well it's going to start sometime soon, I suppose. The phone call ended sooner than I expected. Marco came up to me, and I saw some other football players hanging around as well. Most of them looked more handsome than they should. It was kind of uncomfortable for me, as a normal looking girl, that was kind of dating a very handsome German football player.

"Let's go, the game starts tonight, let's get some lunch first," Marco says, and I nod. He's dressed in normal attire again, a jeans and a casual shirt. He also wears a cap, which seems to be something he usually wears. But it looks nice on him.

"You don't only play football in the national team, I presume?" I ask him out of curiosity.

"I don't, I usually play at Borussia Dortmund," Marco answers.

"Will you take me there one time too?" I ask him, and he smiles.

"Of course I will," Marco says, "I want to share everything with you."

"How romantic," I mutter. He chuckles.

"I am really romantic," he says and stops me. He pushes me chin up and kisses me on my lips. I, once again, am trembling on my knees and get lost in his kiss. He pulls back and smiles. "I don't think I'll ever get enough of this."

"Hmm," I smile, "I don't think I will either." We walk towards the car and get in. We have to go find a place to eat, but that place is found soon. Including my first encounter with paparazzi and fans. People are yelling things, and some are asking questions, but Marco just holds my hand and ignores most of the questions. However, pictures are made, and it makes me uncomfortable, because I don't know if I want to find a picture of myself in the magazines or the newspaper. They will speculate who I am, and what my name is. I mean, I've seen it all before, and that's not what I like.

"Well, there we are," Marco says, by the time we are finally seated in the restaurant, "That is what happens to me on a regular basis. The best thing is to just ignore it mostly." I nod.

"I guess so," I shrug, "I mean, I'm a journalist – to be. I know how these things work, but I'm usually the one behind the camera, rather than the one that is in front of the camera." Marco laughs.

"I know, dear," he says and takes the menu to see what he feels like eating. I check out the menu too, but I settle for a salad, because I'm kind of nervous for tonight and rather scared too, because I don't want to be attacked by paparazzi once again. I decide to let it all go, and focus on my 'date' with Marco again. "You look nice, by the way."

"I do?" I question him, "I haven't spent too much time on my appearance today actually." Marco chuckles and places his hand on mine.

"Well, I think you look really nice today," he says, "Whether you spend time on it or not."

The day passed quickly and before we know it, it is time to get back to the stadium, where a crowd of fans is already lining up. Thankfully, I can pass through the VIP-alley, which is fun, because I have never been a VIP. I actually get one of these passes too, that you can hang around your neck, to show that you're a very important person. I say goodbye to Marco and wish him the best of luck, and I kiss him which might help a bit as well. A few of his teammates were making kissy-sounds, which was kind of adorable, but also childish. I make my way to my seats, which is probably with the family of the German nationals, including Marco's parents. Just wonderful. I don't think I'd have to meet them right now. I decide to sit a few chairs away from them, and just look at the field and the big screen. It would be most awkward when everyone would be singing the national German anthem and I wouldn't even know a word or two. I have listened to the language the past few days, and I think it sounds hilarious, and I don't like it as much as I like French. I look at my watch and I see there's still 15 minutes left before the game is supposed to start. When Marco comes onto the field, I cheer a little on the inside, and I see him trying to find my gaze. When he catches mine, he waves and blows me a kiss. I wave back at him, slightly awkward, because I feel like everyone around me is checking me out.

The game has started and I'm trying to cheer for Marco, but it's all happening a bit rough and I don't want Marco to fall down and not be able to go to the World Championships. I look onto the clock. No one score yet, but it is almost half time, around 5 minutes left. I check to see where Marco is, number 21. I smile when I catch his sight. He runs, and collides with an Armenian player. Then he just falls down. I gasp and stand up. He just lies there, in pain, grabbing his leg and his ankle and not being able to get up. They first don't notice it, but then the game I stopped and people are getting him off the field. It all moved extremely fast. Podolski is put in, instead of Marco, and I don't see Marco anymore for the rest of the game. There's no update, there's no nothing. I'm just here, together with his parents, whom I haven't met yet, waiting for a sign of life. Well, I mean, Marco is alive sure, but I mean, more like what happened, what is going to happen now. Does this mean the end of Marco's career? He won't be able to go to Brazil now?