"Not time, just trust me."

"Do I have a choice?"

He just grins and pulls me out of the ditch. We set out, me puffing as he glides easily beside me.

"Where are we going," I manage to say between breaths.

"Honestly?"

I nod.

"I have no clue."

"Great."

I hear a noise behind us, as I turn to check we weren't being followed, Carter slams into me, sending me flying into a bush to my right.

I cough painfully, an unfamiliar male voice speaks to Carter, and I hold my breath.

"Nice try, but I know she's with you."

"Why do you want her? What's going on?" This was Carter.

"Why do you care wolf?"

"Leave, or I'll give you something to yowl about."

I don't hear anything apart from my own heart, which is pounding from fright as a hand pulls me out of the bush.

"Give her to me," Carter growls.

The guy who's holding me tightens his grip, "why, so you can try and act like a good guy for a while? Because I know that if I give her to you, it'll end in her death."

"I'm not leaving her, I risked everything to save her, hell I gave up my only home to save her."

As the mystery guy goes to speak, I kick put backwards, connecting with something precious to him. He drops me as he doubles in pain and I take off. I don't know what was going on, but all I wanted was to go home.

I see a dark figure out the corner of my eye, but before I can react it hits me hard. Instead of it being Carter or the guy like I expected, it was somethings large and furry. I look up to see the biggest, and the only wolf I'd ever seen. It stood there, brown fur gleaming in the moonlight as it bared its very sharp teeth at me. I can't speak, mouth dry in fear and heart in my throat, I lie on the pine needle covered ground.

Fear really is paralysing.

The wolf crouches, no doubt about to lunge for me again. I squeeze my eyes shut, certain that it will kill me.

"Kode, don't do it."

Carter's voice calls out from behind me.

What the hell?

Before I can react, Carter bounds forward and... Shifts. That's the only word to describe the impossible thing in front of my eyes. The new wolf, Carter, collides with the other wolf and they wrestle, teeth clashing and blood flying.

I can't make sense of anything, my brain whirls but it's as if it's going into overdrive.

A hand grabs my shoulder, it's the creepy guy. "Hey, hey, it's ok Carter and I both agreed that to keep you safe we have to work together. I promise I won't hold you against your will."

I blink, feeling a bit dizzy. Everything was blurring together and I suddenly found myself unable to keep myself together, this was too weird.

"Hey, are you alright? Astrid?"

His voice fades and blackness rushes in with the dizziness.

Images float in and out of my mind, I can't make sense of anything apart from the crowding darkness. Time passes, God only knows how long I've been like this. I hear voices speaking nearby lowly, and a soft crackle hisses in the air. My eyes flutter open, my head felt heavy as I try to make out my surroundings. Above me was a stone grey ceiling, instantly making me panic, was I somehow back in my prison room?

I fly into sitting position, heart pounding as I look around fearfully, my hand automatically reaching for my necklace, which is thankfully still there.

"Hey, it's ok, your safe."

A soft voice comes from beside me.

I feel a calming hand on my shoulder and I look to see the mystery guy beside me.

In front of me, a fire had been built, it was burning softly.

"Where are we?"

He smiles, "somewhere safe."

"Well, thanks for saving me I guess. I should probably apologise for kicking you."

He chuckles, "no need, I should have known you'd be a fiery one."

"Hey, just so you know, I rescued you too."

I look up to see Carter lounging by the fire, glaring at us.

I frown, "yes but-" I look at the guy for a moment, realising I didn't know his name.

"James Kilaer at your service."

"Right, as I was saying, unlike James, you were the one who was keeping me locked up."

Carter frowns and goes back to ignoring us.

"I don't suppose I can just go home now?" I ask hopefully.

James sighs and scratches the back of his neck, "afraid not, if you try they'll just keeping trying to get you, even if they kill your family in the process."

I pull my knees up to my chest, shaking fiercely as I try to comprehend everything. "I just, I don't even understand what's going on," I take deep, shaky breaths, "first, I, I was walking home, then I was k-kidnapped," I was finding it hard to think, everything was so...terrifying.

"Then all I knew was that horrible grey room, until now."

"It's ok Astrid-"

"No, no it's not ok," I'm shaking my head, tears well up, "my whole life is turned upside down, suddenly there are these people who know who I am, I mean who are you people?" The boys don't answer, "and, oh my god C-Carter he changed."

"I'm so sorry Astrid, you never should have been introduced to all this."

"Oh shove it James, you and I both know that no matter what, she would have been a part of our world, it's in her blood." Carter turned to face us.

I raise my head, "what do you mean?"

Carter smiles grimly, "tell me now, how much do you know about your daddy and his family?"

"My dad died when I was 5, my mother never told me much about his family, but what did he have to do with all this?"

James and Carter looked at each other and I suddenly didn't want to hear what they had to tell.

~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N

oh my god guys, I was so exhausted when I finally finished this, so I apologize for any mistakes.

Question: what do y'all think of Carter and James?
Anyways please vote and comment if you liked it

See ya next time!
- S. Blake
✌🏼️❤️✌🏼