Chapter 9 - Zack Pays a Visit

After about an hour Daren comes to let you out of your room. "Sorry about getting you in trouble." He mumbles. "Randal said you can come out now."

You huff and push past Daren. "Where is Steve?"

"Down stairs with Randal." Daren frowns. "What's wrong?"

"Don't give me that!" you growl and glare at Daren. "You know damn well what the fuck is wrong."

Daren scratches the back of his head. "Randal forgave us so I don't understand why your so upset. Unless you're in love with him."

You push Daren up against the wall. "Not what I meant!" you snarl. "Why did you turn Steve into a vampire!?"

Daren seems a bit offended. "You mean you're still upset about that?" he frowns. "Then Randal didn't tell you."

"Tell me what!?" you growl.

"Steve was already dying... he had cancer." Daren frowns.

"w-what..." you let Daren down off the wall.

"Yeah... Randal could tell right away... you know he has really keen senses..." Daren scratches the back of his head. "We didn't have a reason to kill him but he kept trying to attack us. He demanded to see you so Randal tossed him in your room until he could figure out what to do with him." Daren looks down the hall. "We faked taking his blood sample so he would think we were waiting for a blood test. We were actually just sitting in the front room talking the entire time."

"But... that doesn't..." you start to protest.

"Randal came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be worth our time to kill somebody who was already dying... but he couldn't just let Steve leave either. Hunters bring more hunters... we would have had to leave this place." Daren explains. "And then when we were about to come collect him, Randal heard the two of you talking... and he said. If his friend becomes one of us then he won't feel alone here. So he decided to turn him to save him from dying from cancer." Daren looks away again. "If we hadn't he'd have either gotten bit by mistake and turned or died anyway from the cancer."

You cover your mouth and look away. 'This whole time I was under the impression that they did it because they didn't think I mattered, but really they had decided to keep him simply because Randal didn't want me to feel so alone.'

"Don't blame Randal." Daren sighs. "It's hard for him to run a nest by himself. So many of us have been lost either to wolves... or hunters..." he sighs. "My brother was one of them... I was there I could have saved him... but when I saw the hunter I froze up and decided to stay hidden. Randal was divested by the loss. My brother had been his best friend." Daren glances back over at you. "We've seen our kind taken one after another. We try not to hold it against the humans... they don't understand us. We experience loss and pain the same way you do."

"I didn't realize..." you bite your lower lip. "How long ago was that?"

"Few years ago." Daren sighs. "You look like him... the hunter..." he looks away. "You have the same dark blue eyes he had... but though they are similar in color yours have never reflected the same cold blooded hate. That is until just now when you accused us of taking your friend away."

"A few years..." you sigh. "I'm sorry that happened to you. It probably wasn't me because I've only been a monster hunter for about two and a half years and I've only killed a few vampires. I mostly hunted poltergeists."

"No I know it wasn't you." Daren nods. "The other boy was a bit older... much taller. I would have recognized your scent if it had been you." he looks down the hall and his domestic demeanor melts away to be replaced by a look of pure hate. "No... it can't be... he's here." Daren flashes down the hall.