Chapter 27

All everyone was talking about was the homecoming. I rolled my eyes. All I could think about was Lexi's threat.

It was almost a week since I moved into Nanna's house. It was almost time for me to go back home. I dreaded the thought.

I was thinking too much and didn't notice the foot that set out to trip me. I fell on my stomach. I groaned. Ok, what was the deal with tripping me?! I got up and glared at the person but immediately, my face was replaced by surprise.

It was Asia who had tripped me. She hadn't made any contact with me for this whole week. Why now?

She looked at me with fake guilt. "Oh, Monica. I didn't mean to."

I looked past her to who she was with. Lexi, Tyrone, and Claire. She was hanging with Claire now?

Asia looked back to who I was looking at. "Oh Monica, it's just Claire. She's not new or anything. But would you like me to introduce you to her?" I could tell from her tone that she was joking. But I was still annoyed.

"No, I'm fine Asia." I say in a nonchalant tone.

She rolls her eyes, and looked at Lexi. During that moment, Tyrone walks up to the group. He looks at me then flashes me a grin. "Monica. How are you?" He asks. He putts his hand on my shoulder. At that exact moment, I saw Alex walk by. He looks at Tyrone ' s hand on my shoulder and a disgusted look passes his eyes. Was that jealousy?

I shook Tyrone ' s hands off my shoulder and began to walk away. I didn't want to be near these people's fake-ness.

"Alex!" I grab his arm and he looks at me in surprised. A smile soon is placed on his mouth. He just blessed me.

"Monica. How are you?" He asks. I give him a thumbs up. We walk to our class together. We have been hanging together in school for the whole week. Some days he would even sit with me in the cafeteria instead of his friends.

Of course, I told him not to dissolve his friends for me. He laughed, telling me, he would rather hang out with me than them. I smiled at the memory. He was so sweet and genuine.

Alex scratched the back of his neck and turned to face me. "Hey," He says, "maybe you could go to the movies with me tomorrow? We could go without Asia messing it up this time. Maybe without Sandy too..." He said.

I grinned. Was he asking me out? Well, tomorrow was my last day at Nanna's. It would be fun to spend it with Alex's, and maybe I would be able to stay in a good mood during at my father's house.

"Sure Alex. I'd love too!" I said. He smiled.

"And I promise we'll make it to the movies this time. No interruptions." He says. I nodded, feeling excited for tomorrow.

After lunch, we had an assembly. I didn't want to go but it was better than staying in class. I ended up sitting alone, since Alex was sitting all the way in the front with his friends.

The assembly was a bore. Of course, it was for Homecoming. Last time I went, I went with Tyrone. It was fun but I wish I hadn't been with Tyrone that time. Maybe Alex? That would be nice...

I wasn't really paying any attention, all they were talking about was the price, how they would chose the king and queen, what surprises would be there, and some other stupid stuff. I guess I wanted to go. But if I went, I had to be with Alex.

Do re mi fa sol la ti do....
Do ti la sol fa mi re do.

I was internally glaring at Mrs. Mendez. Like, what the heck?! My throat was burning! We've been repeating this for half an hour! The only reason I wasn't bursting out the door, was because Mrs. Mendez said she had something important to tell us.

Finally after repeating the lines again and again, she decided to tell us the little surprise.

She clasped her hands. "Well guys, I have news!!" She says excitedly.

Oh really? You gon' spit it out?!

"We are singing for the Christmas concert!" She gushed. I tried not to roll my eyes. Ummm, Mrs. Mendez, we always sing at that.

The group of kids groaned. They were probably thinking it was something bigger just like I was. Mrs. Mendez glares at our disappointment. "What are you guys groaning for? This is great and guess what song were singing?"

A couple of kids shot random answers. 'Jingle Bells!' 'We wish you a merry Christmas!' 'Silent night!' 'Drummer boy!' 'Merry Xmas, by Fetty Wap!'

Some people, including myself, bursted out laughing at the last answer. Mrs. Mendez shook her head at all the answers. "Seriously. Those songs are too boring and less exciting. We are singing Angels We Have Heard On High."

I smiled. I absolutely loved that song.

"And I picked the solo!" Mrs. Mendez smiled.

My heartbeat picked up. What if she picked me? I mean, I'm not saying I'm her immediate choice, the kids here were all great singers. But what if I was picked.

The glee club waited silently for a name to be said. "Monica!" My eyes opened wide and my jaw dropped. I heard an "ewww" from Claire, which I ignored. Some kids applauded. Some gave me looks of encouragement and others gave me a look f jealousy.

Mrs. Mendez mentioned me over and I walked up to her. "So Monica will be singing the first verse. You sing the chorus part. She sings the second verse and you sing the second chorus. And we all sing the last verse and chorus together."

"We all know this is not some old boring chorus. It's a glee club. We dance too." Mrs. Mendez turns to me. "And the soloist has to dance a lit. So, Monica, you'll be dancing too."

I frowned and looked at the ground. I was in trouble, I couldn't dance! I wasn't up to the challenge.

"Uhhh Mrs. Mendez... I can't-" I start.

"We have to get to work. You can go back to your seat, Monica." She cuts me off.

"But I-" I start again.

"You can go back, Monica." She says impatiently. I groan and head back.

Well, I needed to start practicing. I was gonna make a complete fool of myself at the concert, I just know it.

****

I dressed myself in tight blue jeans, a white shirt, a short floral cardigan, and a floral converses.

My hair was put up in a ponytail and I had a little make up, including a red lipstick.

My grandma smiles when she saw me. "Well, you clean up really well for that boy." She says. I smiled at her.

"Thank you, Nanna. But I mostly cleaned up more for myself." I said.

"Of course you did. Your my granddaughter! You don't only do things for men's approval. But for yourself." She smiles." Your mom would have been proud."

At the mention of my mom and how she would have been proud, a feeling of happiness and sadness was felt in my heart. My eyes stung at the memories of my mother came back to me.

Nanna came and wrapped her arms around me. I didn't cry, I didn't want to mess up my mascara. But I was happy for her support.

"Thank you, Nanna. For always being here." I said emotionally.

"I wouldn't be anywhere else, my sweet child."

Then, the bell rang, interrupting our little moment. I pulled away from my grandma's arms. I walked to the door.

I took a deep breath and opened the door.

Oh gosh.