Chapter Seventeen: Knock Much?!

Start from the beginning

"Wh-what?" Niall asked quietly. 

"I hope for her sake she pulls together for Saturday," I smiled at Maura and Robert, nodded at Greg and hugged my mum, and joined Simon in the limo. It was big and empty. 

"Okay, Cheryl?" Simon joked. He used to say I was like Cheryl's daughter. I'm proud of that.

"I can't stand seeing my best friend like this," I sighed, not thinking. I tucked my knees up to my chest. 

"Like what?" His voice asked curiously.

"Broken-" I stopped in my tracks. I was about to tell him about Niall and Lily! The policy! I would never forgive myself if I told. 

"Broken what?" Simon said suspiciously. He turned around in his seat.

"Broken...legged...she sprained her leg," I improvised, a guilty blush seeping through my skin.

"Oh no, is she alright?" said Simon, concerned. Oh, please let me be a good liar. For once!

"She'll be fine," I said through gritted teeth.

Suddenly the door opened. Lily entered, giggling with Harry, over something dirty, knowing Harry.

"Oh Lilienne, I'm so sorry to hear about your leg!" Simon exclaimed.

"What the fuck?" Lily mouthed at me.

"Play along," I pleaded with my eyes.

"Um...sore. Yeah. Right. I'm...good, but, uh...ow?" She's a terrible actress. Absolutely awful. 

"Poor dear, let me help," Simon got up and half-lifted, half-dragged her into the car. Simon really is a big softy. Lily had a 'what in mothers name is happening here?' look in her face. 

"What are you doing?" she hissed in my ear.

"Saving your butt, now fake the sprain!" I whispered back. "I'm so sorry, but  messed up and nearly told Simon you were dating and then I panicked, and now you're leg is broken." I told her in a hushed voice the story, and of course she was all too happy to play along then.

SATURDAY: 8:00

Lily's POV:

"You'll be okay, Lily-Flower," Cheryl assured, using her special nickname. "I promise." 

"I can't remember! The words just won't stick in my head!" I cried, distraught. "I always remembered before!"

"Maybe when you were with Niall, he made you happy, he gave you reason to learn the songs." Cheryl suggested, brushing back my hair. "Come on, Lily-Flower."

As Cheryl hurried out to the panel, I didn't hear her announce, "She's very nervous, but she'll smash it, it's my little Lily-Flower!!" I only heard the big booming voice go, "Lily Tomlinson!" before I was pushed on stage by God knows who and left standing there in the single spotlight, in my rose hemmed black dress, the butterflies in my stomach going wild. The music started, I had no idea of the words accompanying it. Until I gazed into the audience, Niall smiled at me and snatched something off of Louis and Cher. He jumped up holding a poster, yelling, "Come on, Lil! You can do it, babe!" 

"Summer after high school, when we first met, 

We'd make out in your mustang, to Radiohead, 

And on my 18th birthday, we got matching tattoos. 

Used to steal your parents liquor and climb to the roof, 

Talk about our future, like we had a clue. 

Never dreamt that one day, I'd be losing you.