When Dragons Roamed

The stories aren't always as they are told. Princes aren't always charming and there were not very many happy endings. Dragons were not always evil and destructive. Kingdoms did not always live in peace. No. Those were what you told kids. There was little truth about it. They were exactly that. Fairytale.

There are no more of my kind you see, we had been wiped out long ago. I stood now in the face of those who fought for my kind...and those who had spilled the blood of my men. They had chained me to their court to determine my fate. A dragon prince given up by his own father for the sake of the people— only to be betrayed. Now, I didn't look like myself, instead I wore human skin, a persona. Dracons, such as myself, did this for political gatherings as not to scare others. But now I was worn to the bone and I couldnt manage to change back regardless. How long had I been in the dungeon? Years probably, seeing as my flames had died out inside and the air had changed. I looked up to the aged faces of the men of the court. Yes, it had been years. The two kings who stood in debate of my life both had worn faces and gray beards. Their wives' beauty was shredded by the experience of child birth and sights of war and destruction. I snickered a bit at the frail lives of these humans. How dare we dragons allow ourselves to be defeated by these creatures— these monsters! My father was too trusting, too kind. He called these men friends, patted their backs, and broke bread with the likes of them.

"What seems so funny beast?" King Hurburus snarled from the court. "You're soon to be executed, I find no humor in that."
He was our annihilator: a tall man with shaggy beard and dark eyes that have greyed over the years. He was just as grimacing as when my father had met him.

"Not if I have any say so Hurburus." King Shalm came forward to cut him off from my path. Now King Shalm was younger and more handsome than Huburus, but he was not to be underestimated. He was strong, cunning, and fast. He was a wise leader with blue eyes that had dimmed as well, but you could always see the fire behind them. His beard was long and hair was golden. He was to be my savior but I couldn't bring myself to love any human creature. To me, I would kill them all. I planned to kill them all.