35. Finders Are Keepers

Start from the beginning

I cleared my throat, trying to make him focus on me again. "The night I came late, when I was covered in blood you asked me what happened... Do you remember?"

He glanced at me suspiciously.

I continued my monologue, "Nicolette had come to find me that morning. We talked and she... she sliced my throat. I woke up only when the sun was replaced by the moon. Kendrix had found me and helped me to regain my consciousness."

He was still not sure what to believe, I could tell.

"Kol.." I said, cupping his hand with mine, "I only did what I did for you. I knew you would be mad if you found out about it and--"

"Wait wait wait," he cut me off, shaking his head, "The toy knight? Are you sure? No, that's not true, the only white oak is the sta--" he trailed off as he realised Kendrix was still with us.

"I'm sorry. I was surprised too at first. Kol, please, tell me you believe me." I begged, my eyes boring into his.

Kol's POV:

Should I?

I was studying her face, her moves, her eyes in order to see if she was indeed telling the truth. By now, Davina had become an open book to me; the only thing I had to do was just to look in her eyes. Her enticing eyes were a window not only to her soul, but to her thoughts as well. And as much as I wanted to believe her, a part of me didn't. Moreover that little prick next to her.

I wasn't done with him.

"Kol.." her soft voice rang in my ears, "If you don't trust me then.." she hesitated, taking a big breath. "Compel me."

I wrinkled my brows confused. "What?"

"If that's the only way to trust me, then fine. I don't care."

I blinked. She was practically asking me to play with her head? No. I wouldn't-- couldn't do that. She was the only person I would never try that on. I took a big breath, shaking my head slowly. "Don't speak nonsense, Davina. I won't compel you."

"Then do you trust me?"

I looked up. "I do. But I don't trust him." I hissed, pointing at Kendrix again.

"Kol," she pleaded. "Please. He helped me to save you."

I grinned. Did she really just say that? "Save? Save me from what? You think I cannot deal with a useless psycho bitch?"

"You know I didn't mean that way. I just wanted to help you the way you have done so many times for me. Not to mention you would probably go for a killing spree."

I slightly smirked. Oh she knew me so well. "Ridiculous accusation, darling." I stated.

She arched her eyebrows. A small smile showed up on her face, eyes sparkling with hope. "So you don't... hate anymore, right?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "I never did."

She giggled happily. Damn, I would die for that smile. The lousy being next to her exhaled heavily, looking away angrily. I mentally smirked. He couldn't really think he stood a chance, could he? Oh poor thing. How utterly delusional.

"So.. now what?" he suddenly asked.

"I..I have the toy knight." she uttered, looking at me shyly.

I looked at her with my eyebrows narrowed. "What? How? Since it's such a dangerous thing, Nik wouldn't just let it on his nightstand."

"Let's just say... clumsiness can be really helpful sometimes."

Davina's POV: