The group sped-walked, ignoring the odd and amused looks they were receiving. A bunch of teenagers speed walking never looked innocent.

"Adults don't trust teenagers because they know all the stupid shit they did when they were young," Lionel said, spinning around a pillar, "That, or they're just stupid and really think they're better than us."

Ruth walked behind the group, not interested in being in the mall in general, and stopped when she heard a familiar accented lilt.

"Is that Ruth Dakin?"

She nearly froze, but forced herself to keep up with the group, her heart racing. She had to calm down, her wings couldn't show up, not now, not here. She shouldn't even be here.

There were fast footsteps and she prayed they were just other people at the mall. Prayers weren't always answered.

"I can't tell." This voice sounded strained and warped, as if something had happened that had changed the once charming voice into something raspy and painful.

"It can't be," another voice said, full of disbelief and malice, "She wouldn't come back. She couldn't come back, she was locked up, remember?"

"Yeah, but who's that then?" Ruth's heart ached; her cute boy from biology class was gone, replaced with the boy who called her a freak of nature.

Ruth couldn't hear the last part since Peter had grabbed her arm and pulled her inside the arcade. It was loud in the arcade and dark, flashing lights all around.

Jubilee, taking charge once again, dispersed everyone, calling dibs on Kurt, pulling Ororo with them. Jean pulled Scott towards some games, saying that they would be unstoppable considering their accuracy.

"Buddies?" Peter asked, motioning towards a game.

Ruth smiled up at him and nodded. She followed the significantly older man towards the Ms. Pac-Man game, laughing to herself at the sight of it.

"I've been meaning to ask you," she said as they waited for the person in front of them to finish, "Did you steal that Ms. Pac-Man game in your room?"

He looked down at her, confused. "How'd you know I had one in my room?"

She stared up at him, eyes wide; she thought he knew. "They didn't tell you? I stayed at your mom's while I was in exile. I stayed in your room."

He nodded. "Oh. Well, yeah, it's not like we could afford most of the stuff we had, especially my stuff. I stole all my clothes and stuff. Mom worked three jobs."

The two walked forward and Ruth stared up at him, not liking the sad look on his face. "She misses you," she blurted out, "Your mom. I talked to her. She doesn't think you miss her much, but she really wants to see you again."

He looked surprised. He seemed to look through her, his eyes glassy and distant. Ruth wasn't so sure if she said the right thing or not.

"Peter? Are you okay?" She waved her hand in front of his face.

He nodded, blinking. "Yeah, I'm fine. You want the first round?" He waved her onto the stool, leaning against the side, watching.

She started up the game, slowly falling into the same easy rhythm she had had back when she played on his console. Her mind wandered to Lionel who was never good at arcade games, but always tried either way.

"I'm a disappointment. I am literally throwing money at my oppressors!" Lionel cried, putting another quarter into the machine, Ruth giggling next to him.

"Do you think she's here?"

Ruth's hand jerked and she ran right into the ghost she was running away from. She groaned, hopping down from the stool, looking at Peter who took her spot.