02 | Epilogue

Epilogue >> Chapter 02
¤ u n e d i t e d ¤

The morning air was briskly damp. Morning birds chirp and insects buzz. The sun stretched across the bright blue sky, tickling Eren's face. With his eyes still heavy, Eren lifts his upper body, his shoulders slouching over.

He lie in a tree, high above the ground. Just hours ago he had been alert and guarding his peers below, along with Armin. After Jean awakened, they traded positions and the two friends were allowed a few hours of rest.

Eren groggily rubs his eyes, yawining quietly. He moisturizes his mouth, glancing around the area to notice he was the only one awake. His face remains with a drunken expression as he peers below him at the slumbering male. Jean is sleeping soundly below a tree, causing Eren to frown as he scans the area.

Everything appears normal in his eyes. He scans a second time, this time he squints to create a clearer image.

Shit.

Eren's first instinct was to scream, but that would only alert the others and cause the crawling infected to attack sooner. Instead, he quietly reaches for his pistol attached to his belt.

Quietly, he aims at his target as it inches closer to Jean. He inhales and exhales deeply though his mouth, his eyes focusing on the creature who crawls only feet away from the light, ash hair colored male that snoozes soundly without notice of his possible end.

Eren only has one shot to kill this infected, if he were to miss he would not only endanger Jean, he would most likely alarm other infected to come. Eren can't endanger everyone, he will not allow that to happen.

Eren places his hand on the trigger, his target locking on it's head. As if time were in slow-motion, he pulls the trigger and the bullet pierces through the morning air and straight through the skull. A small noise escapes the lips of his target, bringing relief to Eren.

Jean's head tilts as he stirs in his sleep. Slowly, he awakens to a course in front of him. Immediately, his eyes widening in shock. His first instinct was to check his body, in case he was wounded. Everything appears normal, no scratches or bite marks were visible.

He let's out a held breath as he lifts himself from the mossy floors of the forest. Eren whistles, catching the teens attention. His golden orbs met Eren's teal ones as he waves the pistol. Jean felt his face fluster in embarrassment.

Armin slowly awakens, clicking his tongue. He blinks several times before fully awakening. He notices his friend is already awake and he yawns, a small, quiet noise escaping his lips.

Eren begins to make his way down the redwood tree. Jean is already inspecting the corpse as Eren walks closer.

"This one seems to be a class A infected." Eren says aloud

Jean raises a brow in confusion, "they have classes now?"

"Well, yes." Eren says in an unsure tone.

Armin leaps the last few feet to the ground and clears his throat. "Well, Jean, each infected was once a human which meant they had brains. How do we distinguish one person from another?" He asks, but before anyone could answer he began to speak, "by appearance, personality, and intelligence. When Eren said this infected was a class A, he meant that his intelligence was higher than other infected." Armin explains.