Chapter 1: Trouble in Paradise

Last time you heard from me, I had just given birth to Derrick not too long ago. He's now five months and is growing up before my eyes. I'm still in Houston and living with Trae. Things are cool, not great but I can't complain. I still haven't started college yet, but I swear I will some day soon. Everyone's doing well; Sydney's engaged now. Lucky, lucky her. My mother finally moved out of my grandmas house, she lives closer to her job. Trae's ass is doing the same stuff he was doing before. Out all night selling dope and smoking weed. I'm not complaining about what he does, he just gets on my nerves y'all. The important thing is that he takes good care of our child.

"I wanted to move closer to y'all, but he'd rather live like downtown or something." Sydney said as we shopped around a furniture store.

"That's a cool location, we can still see each other often." I shrugged my shoulders.

"True. I just can't believe I'm getting married, it still feels like a dream." She laughed.

"Right, I thought you would've been a player for life." I returned the laugh.

Sydney's engaged to a guy she used to date her sophomore year of high school. They were on and off for a long time and about seven months ago they decided to try things again. Now she's soon to be married. He's a good guy and all, but I feel like they're moving fast. Hell, maybe I'm just jealous but whatever. It would be nice to get married to Trae's hood ass one day.

Trae: I dropped Derrick off at my mama crib. If I'm done making my move before you get finished shopping I'll pick him back up. (3:14 pm)

Trae: Love you..❤️ (3:15 pm)

I rolled my eyes and let out sigh. Sydney noticed I was upset so she asked what was wrong. I told her I was fine but I'm not really. Trae is always leaving Derrick at his moms house and it's starting to piss me off. That's his grandma and of course they should spend time with one another, but I don't want anyone coming at me sideways about it. Every chance Trae gets he's leaving my son over there. One day he did that and when I came to get Derrick his mother had an attitude out of this world. I didn't do shit, but of course she blamed me. Ever since then I hardly want Derrick over there by himself.

"I gotta pick lil Trae up." I told Sydney so we could stop walking circles in this damn store.

"Okay, I don't think I was going to get anything from here."

We head back to my car and I was so ready to pick my son back up. That lady bet not get an attitude with me either because this isn't my doing. And to be honest she might not have meant to catch an attitude last time, but I take almost everything to the heart. She still lives in the same house, so I made my way to the Tre. Once I got there I left Sydney in the car because I wanted to make this quick.

"Hey Jakiyah. Trae just dropped the baby off, you coming to get him already?" She wiped food off his mouth.

"Yeah.. What's he eating?" I looked in a bowl that she was feeding him from.

"Grits, his greedy butt always hungry. Looking like a lil girl with all this hair." She fed him another spoonful.

"Trae brought that over here?" I was trying not to sound pissed.

"Nooo, it's mines. Why?" She asked with an attitude.

"Okay well Derrick can't eat that. I don't know if Trae told you, but I only want him eating organic stuff." I'm so heated right now.

"Girl, you sound so bougie. Ain't nothing wrong with him eating this." She fed him another spoonful.

"It's not being bougie, I just want the best for him. When he's constipated I'll be sure to let Trae take care of it." My eye twitched because I wanted to go off on her.