If you remembered me.

Alex stayed quiet for a long moment, expression grim as he mulled over my concerns.

"Well... I can't say that is completely untrue..." He admitted grumpily, grimacing slightly at my sudden look of panic. "But it's more a change in chemistry than anything else... "

I looked up at him warily.

"What do you mean."

He shifted uncomfortably, the frown on his face clearly stating he would rather not be having this conversation.

"... I have less control over my impulses... Mood swings... " he averted his gaze, as if ashamed to admit any vulnerability.

I raised an eyebrow.

That much had been obvious from the way he had been fighting back tears earlier... But something told me it wouldn't be a good idea to push the issue when he was already stressed and emotionally compromised.

I might enjoy his misfortune to some extent, but there was no way I was going to kick him while he was down...

... Maybe just poke him a little bit.

"So basically....the only difference is you're shorter."

The small boy flinched, but almost seemed relieved when he glanced back up at me.

"Oh, Haha." Alex sent me a dead-pan look, completely unamused. "Bite me."

I returned the look with a charming smile.

"The first step in achieving that goal would be to let me out of this cage, munchkin."

Alex rolled his eyes at me. "Save the short jokes for when you're taller than me Tramph."

My smile twitched, actually starting to feel a little bit real.

Whatever you say, Sassy Sue.

"Like I said in the first place." He continued tersely. "I can't stop playing. Otherwise, Jack's going to pay us another visit. "

He had a point there.

"So what do we do?"

"... Survive until help arrives. "

Back to plan A.

"Oh, yea... " I mused, hand on chin."There was like... five other competent human beings, plus Nigel, with us at the start of all this. I wonder whatever happened to those guys... "

I settled back down, taking a seat as Alex continued to play.

"Ten bucks says they're lost. "

"My money's on them getting distracted by shiny things."

"You're on."

Most likely, something had gone incredibly wrong.

But neither of us wanted to voice that possibility....or even think about it.

Conversation rolled to a stop as there was nothing left to do but wait for help, leaving us in awkward... Silence I guess... but with creepy music...

Speaking of which...

"This might seem like a dumb question, but since when was that..." I gestured to the Violin. "... A thing you could do?"

Alex raised a wry eyebrow at me...you could even call it a...

Wry-brow...

... And did me the favour of not commenting when I suddenly slapped myself in the face.